Street-Love | Teen Ink

Street-Love

I inhale the thick smoke from my lit cigarette. I cough a little only because Josh was making me laugh. He laughs at me and I hit him.
“What was that for?” he asked.
“Ha, I don’t know,” I say.
I put out what remains of the cigarette.
“Lets go,” I say.

We get in Josh’s Mustang and drive off to his house. I stash my lighter in my purse. Where no one thinks to look. We go to Josh’s house and hang out there. Steve, Riah, Michael, and Kaleb walk through the front door. I thought to myself that they must have been behind us on the way over, but never thought to glance back into the rear-view mirror.
“Hey!” said Steve, “What are you guys up to?”
“Just Hanging out,” says Josh, “Hey I have an idea, lets go to the mall! First one there wins.”
“Sounds like a deal,” said Steve.

Then we all head to the mall. Josh and I jump in his bright blue mustang and drive off. The others were in Steve’s bright yellow Corvette. Josh and I were the first ones out of the driveway and down the street; headed towards the mall. I glance back and the rest of them were high-tailing us. I knew from that moment on that we were street-racing.
“Josh, how fast are we going?” I ask.
“One-Ten,” he replies.

So quickly we both strapped on our seatbelts and continued to the mall. It was getting dark when the others caught up to us. I glanced over at them while Josh continued driving. Steve had his eyes on the road and I caught Riah’s expression on her face. Clearly thrilled with excitement. I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket. It was from Riah.
“We are going to beat you guys there” it said.
I replied, “No, Josh and I are going to beat you guys there first.
I kept my eyes on Josh; not taking my eyes off of his face. His blonde hair, brown eyes, rounded nose and his red lips.
“What’s wrong?” he asked.
“Oh…nothing,” I said.

Just then I realized that I was in love with him. When I told Riah in text messages she wasn’t surprised. She said that I had always acted different when I was around him. So I went ahead and asked him:
“Josh, do you um…like me? Like more than a friend?”
“No,” he said, “I Love You”

I was shocked, but in the good way. I remained quiet as he kept racing down the lit streets.
“Is something wrong Jenn?” he asked.
“No, nothing is wrong. Its just that I love you too.”
“So then, should we start dating?”
“Well I think we should, but that’s just me.”
“Then it’s settled, Babe.”

I was so excited that I couldn’t stop smiling as we continued racing the others. I noticed then that the stoplight turned red; and both of our cars had skidded to a screeching halt. Luckily the seatbelts locked up. I was alright and so was my new boyfriend. Then totally out of the blue, Josh leaned over towards me and kissed my lips. They were cold but I loved the sensational feeling of his lips pressed against mine.
“How was that?” he asked.
“Amazing,” I said.

I was too breath taken to say only one word. I felt my phone vibrate again. It was from Riah.
“OMG! He kissed you didn’t he?! R u guys dating now or something?” It said.
I replied, “Yea we are dating now dude. And yea he kissed me!”

The light had turned green and both cars were going fast again. A few minutes later a semi-truck had pulled out into the road. Steve luckily missed it. Josh and I swerved and luckily avoided getting into a collision; but we had gone into the lane of on-going traffic. Josh swerved again and missed the other cars and pulled back into the other lane.
“That was close,” he said.
“Yea, thank God,” I replied.

The others were ahead of us. I sighed and I noticed that Josh was looking at me…again. I smiled at him and he smiled back.
“Josh! Look Out!” I said

There was a car that had came to a complete stop and we ended up rear ending him. The air-bag had inflated in the driver’s seat. It was a good thing that Josh wasn’t hurt. The next ting I remember was slamming into the dashboard; and that was it.
“Babe, are you okay?” said Josh.
“W-where am I?” I asked
“Your in the hospital. Everything’s okay now. Your with me. The doctor’s said that you hit the dashboard and the glass had cut your head.”
“S-so I’m alright?”
“Yes babe, like I said, your fine.”
“I’m glad you’re here”
“I’m glad that I am as well”

There were flowers in the room I was staying in. From all the guys and my family; and some balloons that said “Get well soon” on them. The nurse came in the room and said
“How are you feeling dear?”
“I’m fine,” I replied.

I looked over at Josh and he walked back over to me and took my hand and put it in his. I smiled and he bent over and gave me another kiss. I felt like I was in heaven. I told Josh that we shouldn’t street race anymore because of the dangers.
“Agreed. For both of our safeties. And the others as well.” he said.

The next day I was feeling better; better to go home. Josh took me home and he stayed with me the whole day and spent the night. Most of the time we watched t.v. and he held me in his arms to kep me warm from the cold.
“I Love You Josh,” I said.
“I Love You too Jenn,” he said, “I’ll never let you out of my reach ever again. I promise.”

From that day on, Josh and I were always together. We and as well as the others never street-raced ever again; no matter what any under circumstances.