A Leaf in Autumn | Teen Ink

A Leaf in Autumn

By gossamergirl GOLD, Nowhere, New Hampshire
gossamergirl GOLD, Nowhere, New Hampshire

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return." ~ Moulin Rouge

I am dying. I don’t know exactly when but I do know that it will be soon. While many others are saddened by this thought, I am not. I welcome this end because, you see, I have grown old.

I have spent the needed time here, attached to this life-giver and helped it grow for as long as I can. I am at peace with the fact that I am dying. I know that my life-giver will live and that is all that matters to me.

Day after day I have grown to change in color. I changed from the green of the youthful to the yellow of the middle aged to the brown of the old.

Today is the day. All I need is a strong breeze to come my way. Ah, here it is the gust of wind that will be my last breath. I do not try to hold on as many others do for I know it is my time. I let go and I am carried away to my final resting place. As I fall, I feel ever at peace with the world. I float down to my final resting place in the most serene manner.

As I finally rest on the earth, I bid you farewell, my unknowing friend.

I got the Idea for this off a writing prompt on tumblr (writingprompts.tumblr.com). I doubt the writer intended the writings to be like this, though.