Power Of Influence | Teen Ink

Power Of Influence

November 8, 2012
By KellSeip33 BRONZE, West Chester, Pennsylvania
KellSeip33 BRONZE, West Chester, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Throughout the novel The Picture Of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde, the theme of influence grabs the reader’s attention. Other characters such as Lord Henry, Basil, and even Sibyl become influenced by others in their lives, but none as much as Dorian Gray. The influence Dorian Gray is under during this novel eats away at him and ultimately leads to his demise. Lord Henry exerts his influence over Dorian both verbally and by giving him “The Yellow Book”. One of the major themes in The Picture Of Dorian Gray, is the destructive effects of influence over the main character Dorian Gray.

Accordingly, a prominent example of Lord Henry’s corrupting influence over Dorian occurs halfway through the story when Lord Henry sends Dorian a book. On the night after the suicide of Dorians love, Sibyl Vane, Lord Henry brings a book for him which is referred to as “The Yellow Book”. At this time Dorian seems very vulnerable and when he begins to read this story he quickly becomes intrigued by it. This act set Dorian Gray over the edge, and profoundly effected him. Dorian later says, “Yet you poisoned me with a book once. I should not forgive that. Harry promise me you will never lend that book to any one. It does harm.” (Wilde, 224). In this quotation Dorian shows recognition that this book Lord Henry brought him influenced, and poisoned him. He asks that Harry does not lend this book out ever again because it has a power over people to do terrible things. For example, the exposure to this book influenced Dorian to stab Basil. After reading the book Dorian became much more sinful and after committing this crime he did not even seem phased by the act. The portrait also undergo’s drastic changes after Dorian read “The Yellow Book”. His smile has become more sinister which shows Dorian’s darkening soul. After the murder of Basil shiny red paint appears on the hands of Dorian’s portrait and the facial expression seems even more sinister. All of these occurrences can be explained by the reading of the corruptive book Lord Henry had given Dorian. The influence began sooner than that though, it began with all of Lord Henry’s charming words.

Furthermore, Lord Henrys words alone are enough to influence all of those around him. Lord Henry has a way with words, he is charming, handsome, and fairly smart. He always has something brilliant to say and when he talks people listen, and not only do they listen but they begin to agree with him. Basil never wanted Lord Henry to meet Dorian because he knew of the influence Henry has over people. “Dorian Gray is my dearest friend, he has a simple and a beautiful nature. Your aunt was quite right in what she said of him. Don’t spoil him. Don’t try to influence him. Your influence would be bad.” (Wilde, 16). The reader sees Basil’s worry due to the influence Lord Henry has over others and his worries turn out to be correct. As soon as Lord Henry starts talking with Dorian he already begins opening up to new ideas and thoughts. Basil also had a quotation, “You were the most unspoiled creature in the whole world. Now, I don’t know what has come over you. You talk as if you had no heart, no pity in you. It is all Harry’s influence. I see that.” (Wilde, 122).

Subsequently, comes the question of whether or not Lord Henry knows of his influence over people. Lord Henry completely knows his actions and how he will go about influencing his friends. For example, Lord Henry sent Dorian “The Yellow Book” with a purpose of influencing him. Lord Henry realized his words had a great effect over Dorian already so he decided to insert even more of an influence over him by giving him this corruptive book. Lord Henry makes it seem as though he does not know of his influence over others but in reality every move he makes has a purpose. He had a quotation, “Because to influence a person is to give him one’s own soul. He does not think his natural thoughts, or burn with his natural passions. His virtues are not real to him. His sins, if there are such things as sins are borrowed. He becomes an echo of someone else’s music, an actor of a part that has not been written for him. The aim of life is self-development.” (Wilde, 20) This powerful quote from Lord Henry will make the reader stop and think about what he has said, because it holds truth. Everyone has an influence over someone, but the way Lord Henry can manipulate his words and advice makes his influence that much more powerful and dangerous. He knows his influence over others and has purpose behind every word he said to Dorian Gray. For example, Lord Henry said, “But I can finish your idyl for you. You gave her good advice, and broke her heart. That was the beginning of your reformation.” (Wilde, 216). Here Lord Henry admits that all along he has been trying to reform Dorian and he has a proud tone in his voice realizing that Dorian has in fact learned from him.

Therefore, the effects of destructive influence is seen through many quotes, and examples throughout the book. The most notable influencing power comes from Lord Henry which he exerts over his young and natural new friend Dorian Gray. The greatest example of Henry’s corruptive influence happens when he delivers “The Yellow Book” to Dorian the night after Sibyls suicide. But overall Lord Henrys cunning and clever words of advice have a slow influencing power over the young and unspoiled Dorian Gray. Everyone has influencing powers over them but if they let them become too much of themselves it will lead to their demise.


The author's comments:
This piece was done on a major theme in the book, The Picture Of Dorian Gary. The theme of influence is strong not only in this book but in real life.