The Icy Tomb | Teen Ink

The Icy Tomb

By MaggieElaine GOLD, Los Alamos, California
MaggieElaine GOLD, Los Alamos, California

"As I hide behind these books I read, while scribbling my poetry,
like art could save a wretch like me, with some ideal ideology that no one can hope to achieve.
And I am never real; it is just a sketch of me.
And everything I made is trite and cheap and a waste of paint, of tape, of time." - Bright Eyes

I gently slid through the billowing shower curtain; stepping into the frigid, ice-cold water of the somewhat welcoming tub. My clothes attempt at keeping even a fraction of warmth were entirely futile against this arctic pool. Gripping with knuckles a silvery white, I slowly dropped myself, letting my body be enveloped in this cruel, icy tomb.
Unrelenting tremors overtook my fragile frame as I finally let my face submerge. My skin quickly turned a glistening ebony shade; I opened my eyes. Strangely, the cold suddenly felt like burning embers upon me. Yet, no matter the agony, it was entirely unfathomable how difficult it was to let go. My mind kept reeling back to you. Only you. And the guilt began to swiftly twine itself into my shattered heart because I knew you wouldn't want this. But I did. More than anything. And since it was utterly impossible for you to return to me, the only option was for me to follow you. "I love you" echoed through my mind. Your voice. I had to hear it once more.
So, in my icy tomb in which I laid, I took a breath. I felt the frigid water rush swiftly and harshly into my lungs. Every single fiber of my entire being screamed in agony for air. "Just one breath!", my mind plead repeatedly. Yet my hands remained clutching the sides of the bathtub, and soon an immeasurable darkness began to surround me. Hungry, ravenous, and surging, the darkness clutched and yanked angrily at my reality.
Yet the darkness soon began to subside until all I could see was you. All I could hear was you. All I could feel was you. No more pain, cold, nor guilt. Your face, your smile, your eyes, your laugh, your touch, your love. And I knew this was the way I longed to stay forever. Something reassured me that I would soon be with you again.

Well, I would just like to say that suicide is never the answer to your problems...

Thanks :) For both the compliment AND help. 

NorthernWriter, Fargo, North Dakota

"Only dead fish swim with the stream"

good job with the terrific descriptions, but i think you overdo it at many points. as a reader, it's nice to be guided but not overwhelmed with a specific image. you have wonderful word choice and fold the plot beautifully. good job and keep writing :)

ValWiggin SILVER, Grayslake, Illinois

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order to learn how to do it." ~ Pablo Picasso

I havent found that person yet, but i suppose when i do ill know what that's like.  i can imagine though

Hahahaha idk... maybe i was just thinking of how hard it would be to live without someone you love. Idk haha 

ValWiggin SILVER, Grayslake, Illinois

oh yeah, totally know what thats like.  sketching, writing, reading, or flipping ahead gets me in trouble constantly

but seriously - u must have had some inspiration? like, maybe your teacher said something that made u just want to die? jk

but u get what im trying to say

Oh, I have no idea!! I just wrote during class one time :) haha 

ValWiggin SILVER, Grayslake, Illinois

where did u get the idea for this one?

Hehehe Thank you :)

Thank you so much :) And I will

wasps said...
wasps, Other
Uh .... I am actually speechless!! How you can put that much emotion into a story astounds me! Please never keep writing :)

ValWiggin SILVER, Grayslake, Illinois

very good.  I like it!  i like how it leads up to the ending, doesnt give everything away at once

Ahh! The quotes are messed up. " :(