A Fiery Death | Teen Ink

A Fiery Death

March 1, 2011
By B.R.Nack SILVER, Grand Junction, Colorado
B.R.Nack SILVER, Grand Junction, Colorado
5 articles 0 photos 47 comments

Favorite Quote:
“...Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win.”
--Stephen King


Barreling through space, watching the stars pass by and admiring the planets that he passed was Martin the Meteorite. Martin was on his way to visit his girlfriend, Cathleen the Comet—however, Martin would never make it to their lunch reservation because he was oblivious to the fact that he was about to die.

Martin was about halfway to the famous space restaurant, L’arrêt de l’espace, when he realized that he kind of needed to tinkle. Martin looked around ahead of him for a planet that he could stop at to take a potty break, he saw several ahead but few looked large enough for him to stop at. The closest one to him that was not too far off of his path was a fairly small planet but it would do, he was a rather small meteorite and he really had to tinkle.

The planet that Martin had spotted looked as if its surface was mostly water. There was some land, though and in some areas the land was quite abundant. This planet was also very pretty as far as planets go; he was looking forward to stopping at it—but mostly because of his need to relieve himself.

However, what Martin failed to notice was that this planet happened to be a planet called Earth. If he would have paid more attention in astronomy class instead of doodling on his worksheets and trying to catch the female meteorites’ attention, he might have known that entering Earth’s atmosphere is usually fatal to meteorites; but unfortunately he didn’t, and due to that fact he was about to die.

Martin approached the beautiful planet that concealed its terrible danger with anxiety. As he grew closer his excitement and need to tinkle rose and he accelerated his speed in order to get to his destination faster. He went faster than he normally would have, 1,700 miles per hour to be exact.

Martin flew into earth’s atmosphere and almost immediately became aware of his gargantuan mistake. The friction of the atmosphere against his rock body lit him aflame. He was descending into pure agony and toil. He was burning, he was screaming out in utter pain and misery. His cries were in themselves painful to hear. It did not take him long to burn…
†††

Cathleen the Comet sat at table 2 of L’arrêt de l’espace waiting for her boyfriend, Martin the Meteorite, to arrive. He was now almost an hour late and Cathleen was becoming quite irked. She was tired of being stood up by the fool; he had done it many times before. She only put up with it because she loved him and he seemed sincerely sorry for his actions. Maybe she was the fool…

Either way, she sat and waited for a man that would never come. She sat and waited for her heart to be broken once more. She sat and waited…but not for much longer.

Cathleen put a 5 dollar bill and a note under her empty glass of water before picking up her purse and walking out of the L’arrêt de l’espace.

A waiter, seeing her walk out, came over to her table to clean it up for the next customers. He picked up her glass and pocketed the five bucks then noticed the note Cathleen had left behind. Hoping it might be her phone number; the waiter unfolded it and read:
"I’m sorry, Martin. I just can’t do this anymore. I love you, but you are breaking my heart into so many pieces I’ve lost count of them and I’m not sure that it’s worth it anymore. Good-bye…"
Love,
Cathleen

The author's comments:
I wanted to write something...fun.