Inspiration Is A Wayward Muse | Teen Ink

Inspiration Is A Wayward Muse

By IamtheshyStargirl PLATINUM, Lothlorien, Utah
IamtheshyStargirl PLATINUM, Lothlorien, Utah

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

"Bowing gratefully to all of my subjects, 'thank you. Thank you. The pleasure is mine." Nah, I'm just kidding. We're all kings together.'"
~Thesilentraven

The Artist bought the canvas and set it directly in front of the North-facing window in his studio.
The late afternoon light shone through it, heady and dark yellow, as if the canvas was a one-faceted prism.
This canvas was to be the starting point of his greatest masterpiece, the painting that would make him world-famous and a magnet for all of the beautiful and sensitive women of the world.
The problem was, he hadn't the faintest idea as to what the painting would be...
*****
The Artist stood in front of the canvas one morning in June, his right hand stroked an invisible goatee as he stood with his other hand on his hip and his legs placed a foot apart.
He considered all of the beautiful and poignant things he could paint on the superb piece of spotless canvas, his mind flitting from image to image.
But he was disappointed, nothing seemed good enough, none of his ideas had the stuff of masterpiece.
So he set the canvas into a corner of his studio, between an old easel and the South wall. The easel had been his first; it was sturdy and well-built, but one of the legs had broken in such a way that it could not be repaired, and the Artist just couldn't bring himself to discard it. He believed in sentimentality.

There the canvas sat for months, while he painted portraits, commissions, and -in his mind, average pieces of art.
His talent grew, he became well-known in his city, and he forgot about the canvas that was pre-ordained for his masterpiece. It lay in the corner and gathered dust; forgotten and crumbled castles of air.
*****
Then, one glorious Sunday afternoon, as sunlight shone through the North window much like it had that afternoon many months before, the Artist experienced a fit of inspiration.
Colors and shapes poured onto the only canvas he could find, though he hadn't looked between the old easel and the South wall.
The canvas he Had found was dingy and old. A half-heartedly begun miniature still-life of a Chinese bowl with a daffodil design was placed a little toward the top of the left corner; the canvas had been set down and forgotten not long after he had started it years before.

The Artist left the unfinished daffodil bowl where it was, with a few new touches here and there. He painted three yellow daffodils standing in the bowl, a pink petal drifting down the canvas underneath, and he painted the unfinished edges of the bowl all the more rough and jagged, causing it to look fragmented, as if a hole of nothingness was slowly consuming the bowl.
He actually thought that the already existing painting gave all the more to his original inspiration.

*****
The Artist painted in a feverish and soul venting ecstasy, his face dancing through a thousand different emotions as he lived his life ten times over. Paint flowed from his brush as if from his soul; he reeled with color and one single muse of a thousand facets. His brain changed dimensions, and his heart flew to heaven.

The Artist sweated pints of precious saltwater, enough for a small sea fish to live in; and he bled -though only a little, when he cut his finger on the top right corner of the canvas. Even he couldn't understand how in the name-of-the-secretive-man-on-the-moon had he cut his finger; but all the same, both sweat and blood mixed with the paint, and the Artist's soul was intertwined with what he now realized was becoming his lifetime's greatest masterpiece.
*****
Finally, he was done.
His muse finished their waltz and departed as he fell to his knees in exhaustion. He raised his eyes to take his fill of the finished painting, and what he saw filled his heart, body, and soul; and lit them all on a white, shining fire. He laughed and cried, his face in his hands, his fingers parted so he could gaze at the painting.
*****
He stood up, tears still streaming down his face, a smile playing about his wet lips, and his exhaustion was wiped away. He had been kneeling, entranced by his painting for over an hour, long enough for his masterpiece to dry.
The Artist was seized with an intense desire to share his painting with the world.
He whipped the canvas off the easel, and without even grabbing a coat, (he already had shoes on) he burst out of the door into the street, eager to show his painting to every person he met.
*****
The Artist made his way around town, spreading joy and beauty everywhere he went. Everyone he met was overcome with emotion at the sight of his painting, and every person led him to a friend, family member, or acquaintance they thought needed to experience the the Artist's masterpiece.
His painting eventually made its way to a prestigious art museum, there to be enjoyed by millions.
People came from all over the world to experience the Artist's painting, and they all fell to their knees, overcome with the ecstasy of beauty, joy, and tears.
****
And then one day, when he was moving out of his small and decrepit studio, as he was packing up all of his belongings, the Artist found the forlorn and neglected canvas, still between the North wall and the old easel, and still gathering dust.
The Artist picked it up and wiped it off with curiosity before he realized that this was the same, preordained canvas that he had put aside almost years ago, and he fell to his knees like that time once before, only this time with wonder and realization.
"Inspiration works in strange and mysterious ways..." were the words that echoed around his studio, the last words he himself would utter there.

Not like anybody on here will read this, heck, nobody has read it on my blog, 'far as I can tell. However, I worked really hard on this, and I just thought I'd post it here.
If nothing comes of it, I can always delete it...

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

~Thesilentraven

I actually think your mind paired rightly, he's my best friend :)
Thank you, that should help a lot :D

savetheplanet PLATINUM, Anaheim, California

It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

He decided to move on, he doesn't go on Teen Ink anymore.

Aderes47 GOLD said...
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.
Henry Drummond

I haven't been on cause of school. What happened to Raven anyway?

leafy said...
leafy, City, Other

Gil: I would like you to read my novel and get your opinion. 
Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 
Ernest Hemingway: If it's bad, I'll hate it. If it's good, then I'll be envious and hate it even more. You don't want the opinion of another writer. 

Oh, and the HTML < b r > (just take out the space) helps with spacing :)

leafy said...
leafy, City, Other

Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 

Really? I've always thought you two as being similar (my mind has a tendency to pair people up). And yes, you did answer my question, what a nice painting that would make :). You are most certainly welcome Stargirl ^_^.

LOL hey Stargirl! I haven't talked to you in a while, ever since Raven left we haven't run into each other all that much.

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

~Thesilentraven

Thank you, savetheplanet! Do forgive me for taking so long to reply, your comment was lost from my email, I suppose, and it has been hiding down here, waiting to be found, ever since.

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

~Thesilentraven

Teenink won't let me break up my comments anymore, sorry for the jumbled mess.

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

~Thesilentraven

Raven's pieces tend to do that to you :) I am flattered that I could be considered even remotely in the same league. I don't really understand what lil meant that I state the obvious, usually I have a hard time remembering that the reader does not, in fact live in my head and hear all of my thoughts while I write. I didn't really envision anyone in particular, the Artist was sort of just born out of nothing into the story that was always meant to be his. What comes to mind when I see an empty canvas? If you are speaking of The empty canvas, now full, I envision something almost like those drawings in "The Book of Kells", swirling intricacy in the very corner where the daffodils dwell, and unspecified, vague blue and black darkness everywhere else. I intended to write it in a way that would bring a different image to the mind of every reader, and so, in my mind, it is a vision of many possibilities, therefore, it is, in a way, blank. I sincerely hope that answered your question. Thank you dearly for your comments and readership, Leafy, it means much to me, and I am glad you are a friend :)

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

~Thesilentraven

Thanks for the comment and advice, lilmartz :)

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

~Thesilentraven

Heh heh, pretty much, Leafy :)

leafy said...
leafy, City, Other

Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 

Hm. These seems to be one of my (if not, then the) longest replies to an article so far. This story deserves every one of them.

leafy said...
leafy, City, Other

Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 

It's funny, how life works. I've taken on the journey of reading all of Raven's pieces (you, my Starry Bard, are second on my list to explore), and stumbled upon your remark of how "inspiration is a wayward muse." I was sure this was a quote by some long dead bard, Shakespeare, maybe, and decided to look it up. I was amazed to find that I was wrong, and you, in fact, were the author of this phrase! Needless to say, I think the description fit Inspiration perfectly, she can be quite annoying in her flightiness, can't she? But when she gets over her mischievous and coquettish self and decides to venture forward, Inspiration os a much-welcomed visitor.

Now, as for the actual piece, there aren't really words fit for my reaction. To say the least, I love it, and have favorited it (usually I am quite conservative in pressing that button, but with you and Raven both, that has changed). On the contrary to lilmartz, I enjoyed the bits of seemingly-random details, and would urge you not to remove them. Actually, I quite like the sentence "he believed in sentimentality." But then again, I suppose I'm biased, as I, too, am a believer of such things.

I am quite satisfied, with the Artist passing with bliss. Just out of curiousity, did envision anyone in particular while writing this article?

And lastly, my Starry Friend (well, I'd like to think we are friends. Although I haven't yet journeyed through all your pieces, I've felt like I've gotten to know you well from the ones I have), what comes to mind when you see an empty canvas?

leafy said...
leafy, City, Other

Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 

Why, the Wayward Muse bequeathed this Stargirl with the inspiration :)

lilmartz PLATINUM, Perrysburg, Ohio

Live Life Like A Party That Never Ends

This is really good! However, I have a few suggestions that would make this better. First of all, I think you state the obvious too much. Some examples of this in your writing is "he already had shoes on," "He actually thought that the already existing painting gave all the more to his original inspiration," and "He believed in sentimentality." If I were you, I would just delete those sentences and phrases out. Also, I think you need to slow the final paragraphs down a bit. You did a great job pacing and taking your time throughout the entire piece, except towards the end you rushed. Slow down, remember to use detail and emotions, and your ending will be much stronger. With that being said, this was still a really nice story! Just be sure to clean it up :)

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

~Thesilentraven

That is good indeed, one should always be glad after reading something, even if the story is sad, I think one should come away with a sense of satisfaction in some form or another. 

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Wow...I can definitely relate to this...and also am so glad I read it. There are no errors I can even think of, and in the end, I'm glad the Artist passed on happily.

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

~Thesilentraven

Thank you for your comment :)

I don't really know what inspired me, I just started writing it in my journal one morning. 

SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

"I have a life. I just choose to ignore it."
-one of my friends

This was beautiful! It made me smile as I read it. I love the forth part the best. It had some of the most fantastic description I've ever read! Some of this felt like it had a bit of a fairy tale flow with how the story progressed, and for your piece I think it worked well. Interesting article. What gave you the inspiration?

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

~Thesilentraven

Le hannon Raven :) I was not aware of her/him at the time, but I have come to realize that she or he definitely inspired this story, and has been with me since, of not forever.