The Colors of Love | Teen Ink

The Colors of Love MAG

Red is the color I turned when Mark Adams first kissed me on the cheek. I said I most certainly did not like him, and he said he could prove I was lying. He knew a special test. By changing colors I failed the test, and he couldn’t stop laughing.

Orange was the color of our fingertips when we finished a family-sized bag of Cheetos. We stayed up all night watching “Star Wars” movies. Mark couldn’t believe I’d never seen a George Lucas film. We didn’t eat popcorn because he had lost his popcorn-popping privileges. He didn’t tell me why; he just said it was a dark day in the Adams household.

Yellow daffodils were pushing up from the ground when he took me to the park, saying we must “celebrate spring.” He brought an enormous red kite, the kind that has a tail with ribbons. As we sat in the grass, he undid the sun-colored ribbon in my brown hair, adding it to the tail of the kite. We ran all around the park to keep our kite flying, the ribbons waving.

Green was the color of Mark’s face after we rode the biggest roller coaster in the amusement park. He’s afraid of them, but he rode it anyway to prove that he was “man enough,” I guess. When the ride was over, he dashed to the nearest trash can, emptying his stomach. So much for manhood. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is, until he said if I didn’t stop, he’d kiss me on the mouth. Barf kiss: gross!

Blue envelopes are tied up with string in a shoebox under my bed. Love letters Mark left in my locker, signed, “Your secret admirer, Mark.” I told him signing his name defeated the purpose of a secret admirer, but he said he didn’t care.

Indigo ink on the palm of his hand where he wrote “I love you.” I kissed his palm, and all of his fingers, before settling on his mouth.

Violet roses I received a week before our anniversary. We never exchanged gifts on that day. He said red ones were overdone. “Besides,” he added, “violet is the color of passion.” He waggled his eyebrows, and I laughed, hitting him lightly on the arm.

The colors of the rainbow are the ties that bring Mark and me together. Growing ever stronger, they portray our love.

Meli14 BRONZE said...
Meli14 BRONZE, Othello, Washington

"god is love, and love is real"

I Am Free Read please!Rate thanks(:

Mortie PLATINUM, Oak Run, California

Whats The Point?

i love it... i cant think of anything else to say about it...

OneProzacADay PLATINUM, State College, Pennsylvania

"You are the universe expressing itself as human for a little while." -Eckhart Tolle

okay WOW. this is so sweet and well written i love it!!!!!!!! keep writing(:

ohmyitstigger BRONZE, BETHESDA, Maryland
the ending made it sound like an essay, not a short story but i like it (:

zThinkimFallingz BRONZE, Loudonville, New York
Loved it!! Very cute and sweet. I think you could have left the last two sentences out to make the rainbow thing really blended into the writing.

Curly_Sue said...
Curly_Sue, Sand Springs, Oklahoma
cute. i like it

amykins BRONZE said...
amykins BRONZE, Carrollton, Texas

We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.

AWWWWWW! loved it!

skyblue95 PLATINUM, Bear, Delaware

I am paraphrasing, of course. "My only fear is that when they are turned to loving they will find we are turned to hating." -Reverand Msimangu, Cry, The Beloved Country (a book by Alan Paton)

That was incredible. I would put up more than 2 thumbs if I had more, but I can only settle with 2. Good job on that one and if you can, could you check out the novella I'm writing in parts. It's called Henningtom. Keep writing!

Michelle24 GOLD, Riverwoods, Illinois

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss

"Life is not measured by the breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."-Unknown

That was adorable. I loved it.

gulljack SILVER, Richland, Michigan

"Narwals-the unicorn of the sea!"

Go Battle Creeker! Great poem

AngelS SILVER said...
AngelS SILVER, Gresham, Oregon

"You may kill me, but you may never insult me. Who am I?"... "Captain Jack Sparrow." - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Amazing! I love it!!! Can you do me a favor and read my story called, "Angel"? Please!!!

bethy4916 BRONZE, Paonia, Colorado
Very cute!

DaydreamBeliever GOLD, Lockport, Other

If you live to be one hundred, I want to live to be one hundred minus one day, so that I'll never have to live without you. -Winnie the Pooh

very cute and relatable :) good job

Jessica_Twine GOLD, Marietta, Georgia

"Imperfection is Beauty Madness is Genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring!"

wow! tht all i can say is WOW! i loved it(:

Hannahgee6 BRONZE, Greensburg, Kentucky

therefore do not worry about tomorrow. for tomorrow will worry about itself. each day has enough trouble of its own.
-jesus

AMAZING!!!!! very touching. i love it! :)

blueandorange GOLD, Jeffersonville, Indiana
Wonderful!

starlight26 GOLD, Miramar, Florida

*life isnt about pretending to be something you're not. It about being who you are and finding someone
who loves every bit of it."

"Life's tradegy is that we get old too soon and wise too late"

I agree :) Check out some of my work if u can  .*)

deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

Red roses may be overdone, but this kind of work sure isn't!! Great job and check out some of my writing too if you have time!!

Nina.C said...
I like the way you took something ordinary and transformed it into a piece of literature. Thumbs up!

Bassoonkelley GOLD, Tampa, Florida
Really well done! A lot of good stuff going on in there, lots of senses and textures. I would love your opinion on some of my newest work!