Just Friends | Teen Ink

Just Friends MAG

By Anonymous

Final class of the day; I’m almost done. I’ve managed to avoid him for the majority of the day, somehow escaping his attempts at conversation. Always somewhere to go, something to do. Sorry, no time to chat. If I can just stay out of sight for the next fifteen minutes, I’ll be home free.

Rushing into the crowded hall, I push through the swarm of buzzing students. I fight against the flow of bodies, the warm crush that threatens to overwhelm me. Desperate, I keep shoving, longing to reach the safety and quiet of my locker. I’m almost there, just a bit further. Finally I’ve made it, and he’s nowhere in sight.

I open my locker and lean into it, sighing with relief, when I see him. I straighten up, hurriedly shoving everything into that tiny metal box, but my hands aren’t cooperating. My nerves are making me shake, disconnecting my mind from the rest of my body. I struggle to remove myself from the impending situation, but as I start to spring away, he grabs my arm and says, “Now can I talk to you?”

And that’s when my heart sinks. My stomach starts to churn and I know nothing will be the same again.

Somehow I always knew it would come down to this moment. A silent showdown in some empty hallway, the echo of slamming lockers long since faded, but the shouts of students still lingering in the air. He stares at me, expectantly, awaiting an answer. I look at my feet, purposely not listening, not looking at him. I don’t want to hear it, don’t want to see him proclaim his love. It makes no difference; it doesn’t change the situation.

I’ve known him since first grade. I’ve seen him pick his nose and suck at kickball; I watched him grow six inches like a beanstalk and, with all the grace of a newborn calf, give himself a concussion on a shower head. We’ve been friends for what seems like always, but never ventured anywhere beyond that. To be honest, it never occurred to me that he could someday be more than a friend.

“Did you hear me? I said I like you. I like you a lot.”

Don’t say that. Anything but that. Talk to me about the weather, how horrible Mrs. Matthews is with her evil calculus equations. Even sports would be better, (and you know how much I hate sports). Just don’t say those words. Why would you say something that could irreversibly change our friendship?

“I’ve liked you for so long. Didn’t you know?”
Yes, of course I knew. I’m not stupid. I was – I don’t know – I guess I was hoping it was just a crush. Something fleeting, a passing fancy. Puppy love, if you must, but apparently not.

“Say something, anything.”

You don’t mean that, not really. I know what you’re hoping to hear, what you want me to say. I can’t and I won’t. I look at you and I see a brother, a friend, not a boyfriend. I don’t think anything could ever change that in my mind.

Everyone knew we’d end up here. That’s the rub. The whole freaking world probably knew that sooner or later we would clash at opposite ends of the spectrum. My parents, my friends. Hell, even your parents and friends knew it. They told me it was cruel to lead you on, but I never meant to. I never meant for it to go this far; it just never seemed like the right time to say, “Hey, we’ll always be best friends.” I never, ever wanted to hurt you; I just didn’t want to let you go.

I’ve deluded myself for years, lived in denial for so many summers, and now it’s senior year and you’ve finally found the courage to tell me how you feel. I’d love to blame you for this awkwardness, accuse you of letting this non-relationship charade drag on over the years. But truthfully, it’s my fault that we’ve reached this point, and I have to make things right.
I take a deep breath. This is it.

“Yeah. Me too.”



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 380 comments.


mc12 said...
on Sep. 21 2011 at 11:04 am

wow that was amazing

 


Sadie said...
on Sep. 21 2011 at 9:15 am
I really love this story i can relate to this so much. ME and my bestfriend have been friends since kindergrten and he likes me and i tokd him i do't want to ruin our relastionship because we was stupid enpught to datee. If we date then we may never talk agian and he said okay and every since that day we have been closer then ever. He is like a bog bro to me that i never had before. :)

on Sep. 21 2011 at 12:18 am
paigeturner9 PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California
40 articles 0 photos 17 comments
love this! I can totally relate, all the emotions seem so real

on Sep. 10 2011 at 10:18 am
AbigailSolorzano, Carrollton, Texas
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments
I enjoyed reading this story. It shows a lot of great emotions.

Jayanna SILVER said...
on Aug. 30 2011 at 8:39 pm
Jayanna SILVER, Quebec, Other
7 articles 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
Well behaved women rarely make history,

Everything happens for a reason

Really good :) Love the ending:) , do you think you could read some of my stuff? but other than that keep writing :)

on Aug. 30 2011 at 3:45 pm
MiNdLeSsLuVeRgIrL BRONZE, Kenly, North Carolina
4 articles 0 photos 120 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you love something let it go, if it comes back its yours if it doesn't, it never was!

Love it!!!!!!!!

on Aug. 8 2011 at 12:28 pm
KristinHopkins8 SILVER, Aspen, Colorado
7 articles 0 photos 83 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If a writer falls in love with you, you can never die"

FANTASTiC!!!

on Aug. 8 2011 at 11:58 am
SabrinaAnnFaith BRONZE, Hillsborough, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Scars remind us of where we've been, but they don't necessarily dictate where we're going." - David Rossi, Criminal Minds

Same here, I was in almost the exact situation, except I'll never like him like that.  But this captured the feelings so well!

on Aug. 8 2011 at 11:16 am
Tongue_Blep PLATINUM, ????, Ohio
40 articles 1 photo 769 comments
wow that was sooo kewl! I very nice piece of work! great job! I just posted a new story i wrote called: Alien invasion series book one: the caller. If any of u had time please go check it out and post feedback and comments. It would be much appreciated! Thanks! and keep writing everyone! :)(:

on Jul. 17 2011 at 10:26 pm
amplewritersblock, Rome, Georgia
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon.

This reminds me of the sittuation that i'm in... but I'll never like him that way

on Jul. 17 2011 at 5:18 pm
Tongue_Blep PLATINUM, ????, Ohio
40 articles 1 photo 769 comments
This reminds of a friend but its the other way around :)

on Jul. 17 2011 at 5:13 pm
Tongue_Blep PLATINUM, ????, Ohio
40 articles 1 photo 769 comments
LOVED!!! It! Great job! (sorry for advertizing,) anyone if you could check out my stories called the beast and nightstalker that would be great!. Also, if u could post comments if  liked it or not that would be great! I love helpful critszum and feedback! Thanks! and keep writing! :)(:

on Jul. 17 2011 at 4:10 pm
LifeWrite PLATINUM, Westfield, New Jersey
44 articles 14 photos 53 comments
I absolutely love your writing style--the end kind of surprised me, which I liked. Keep writing! =D

Peyton(: said...
on Jul. 17 2011 at 9:47 am

This story was absolutely great to read! I love how it can relate to so many people, as well as me(: 

Another thing, Everyone should read the article Cursed Angel! Just type it up in the search box! If u liked this you'll like Cursed Angel. Just see!


on Jul. 17 2011 at 8:56 am
Whisperer PLATINUM, O&#39Fallon, Illinois
24 articles 0 photos 56 comments

Favorite Quote:
I'd rather be hated for who i am, than loved for who I'm not~Anonymous

No individual has any right to come into and out of this world without leaving distinct and legit reasons for having passed through.~Anonymous

this piece is amazing. i can actually feel how this person is feeling. and i know the outcome of what might happen in a situation like this. this piece captures everything she felt in just a matter of minutes. it's INSPIRING.

GittaR GOLD said...
on Jul. 17 2011 at 4:54 am
GittaR GOLD, Ararat, Other
10 articles 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
Every man has purpose with which he sets out in his life. Let yours be the doing of all good deeds- Robin Hood BBC Series

 This piece made me what to read it until the end. Which is saying something because I can ussualy predict the ending...I did predict...I just didnt predict right. Your descriptiond were so real. I felt like I was watching a short movie rather than reading a short story. The whole thing played out in my head perfectly. And the great thing is you didnt overdetail which so many people do. You are an amazing writer-keep writing! I loved the ending!!! Well Done:):):)

on Jun. 25 2011 at 7:04 pm
AlyssaFama SILVER, Kunkletown, Pennsylvania
5 articles 0 photos 60 comments

Favorite Quote:
Most people want to be the sun that brightens your day. I'd rather be the moon that shines down on you in your darkest hour.

this was completely amazing. Honestly, this has to be my favorite piece that i have ever read on this website. I love how you turned the point around, because normall its the girls that feel that way for the guys. fantastic! don't EVER stop writing.

Also, if you wanted to check out some of the stuff I've posted. Definitely check out Miracle, and Unwed Bride. Thanks!


on Jun. 25 2011 at 5:31 pm
Goldenheartbeat SILVER, Murphy, Texas
7 articles 0 photos 31 comments
sure :) i don't mind

on Jun. 25 2011 at 1:51 pm
Lola_Black GOLD, Harrison, Michigan
11 articles 2 photos 276 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I've always been famous. It's just everybody's just now finding out." --Lady Gaga

Do you mind if I steal that?

on Jun. 25 2011 at 1:48 pm
Lola_Black GOLD, Harrison, Michigan
11 articles 2 photos 276 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I've always been famous. It's just everybody's just now finding out." --Lady Gaga

Wow, I can definately relate. It seems like most of my guy friends always thought I was leading them on throughout the years. The worst part is how damn persistant they are, you know? I told one friend of mine I was a lesbian, and he still keeps flirting and insisting I'm just bi. It sucks.