The Anniversary | Teen Ink

The Anniversary

By AthenatheGoddess PLATINUM, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
AthenatheGoddess PLATINUM, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Look, I didn't want to be a halfblood."

The night was chilly and bleak. Not to mention, it was Halloween night, which only added to the uneasiness Chelsey had. Why, of all days, would Brad take Chelsey out today? It was anything but romantic.

Brad took Chelsey out to an Italian restaurant. Chelsey hated Italian food, which was even crazier. Why would Brad take his girlfriend somewhere she hates on their anniversary?

When they sat at their table, Brad had a crazy smile. He looked insane, like the people Chelsey worked with at the asylum. 

“Chelsey, today is the day,” Brad said, laughing loudly. 

“Yeah, our anniversary,” Chelsey mumbled, feeling the stares of people at neighboring tables.

“No. Today is the day you release me.”

“Release? What are you even talking about?”

It was just now that Chelsey realized Brad’s eyes were different. Darker almost. Brad smiled and Chelsey felt that it also looked strange, but she couldn’t place exactly what it was.

“For years, I have been under this immortal spell,” Brad explained, his gaze darkening. “You can free me by just giving me a hug.”

Chelsey had seen enough horror movies to know what was about to happen. The psycho boyfriend always kills the girlfriend at dinner.

“I’m out of here.” Chelsey stood up abruptly from the table, making her way to the door. There was no way she was going to become the new face of an unsolved crimes podcast.

“Chelsey, wait!” He called as he followed her out the door without paying, which was highly illegal.

It was pouring out, so Chelsey just stood outside.

“I want to break up,” she said when Brad made his way outside. “You’re acting weird again.”

Brad sighed. “Okay, I’m sorry. I was just playing around. Just get in the car. Please.”

Chelsey examined Brad’s expression. Even though everything inside her was screaming to say no, he looked genuine. 

“Fine,” she said reluctantly as she made her way to the car.

When they got in the car, Brad locked the doors. He laughed loudly again. 

“Brad, what are you doing?” Chelsey asked, her voice trembling. She knew that this was a bad idea.

“All I want is a hug.”

Chelsey shook her head, tugging on the door handle. She was afraid Brad was going to hurt her…or worse. 

That’s when he took action. He pounced on her as if he was a predator taking his prey, ignoring her blood-curdling screams. Brad took his fangs and dug them deep into Chelsey’s neck. She shrieked in pain, feeling her neck grow numb and cold.

A man who had heard her screams came over to check on them. When he knocked on the window, he ran away faster than anyone had run before. That’s when Chelsey knew what happened.

She was a vampire.