Pure Bliss | Teen Ink

Pure Bliss

By 5williamsa BRONZE, Colgate, Wisconsin
5williamsa BRONZE, Colgate, Wisconsin

It was a moment of pure bliss when I reached the top of Mount Kenya. I could see the sun beginning to set. The sky looked like a watercolor right before my eyes. It felt as if the painter of the sky added water to blend each color into one another. It was incredible. 

Africa has always felt like a second home to me. The first time I came, I was 5 years old and I looked at Mount Kenya with wide eyes. I looked up at my mom and smiled because I knew that Mountain had importance to me. One day I'm going to climb that, I thought. 

By the time I was 20, I had visited Africa 15 times. As I got older I continued to look at that mountain, but now with daring eyes. I knew this would be a challenge but I thought about how much training I have already put into this. 

At age 25, I was ready. The sun began to rise as I got ready for the hike. My group was starting to pack their backpacks and head out the door. We stood at the bottom of the mountain prepared for the journey. It’s now or never, I told myself. 

The climb took us 5 days to complete. By the 5th day, I was tired. I didn’t know if I would be able to finish. I reminded myself of when I was 5 and I looked at this mountain with so much hope. I can't give up now. I pushed myself to the limit as we climbed our last mile. 

My last 10 steps felt like slow motion. My heart pounded in my chest. I was sweaty and hungry but at this moment it didn't matter. I stood at the top and closed my eyes. I felt complete, I needed nothing more. From this moment on I knew Africa was my second home and I will always have a deep connection. 

It was a moment of pure bliss as the moon began to shine and I turned around to head back down. 

This was a story showing growth and involved the theme of pure bliss.