Lake Redstone | Teen Ink

Lake Redstone

May 31, 2024
By Anonymous

  You load up the car with your red lands end bag that has your initials engraved on it, you've had it since you were five years old and if a bag could talk, this one would have a lot to say, You're a planned out packer but for here you throw some swimsuits, comfy shorts, and hoodies. You start the hour and forty-five-minute drive, it starts on 94, not a very peaceful beautiful drive but once you make it to Reedsburg you start to feel the stressful cloudy air disappear. I never thought just an hour away from my home could feel so much different. You start to drive on the empty peaceful farm roads, with nothing but green fields and cabins.

       You reach a sharp turn, and you slowly menu your car onto the sharp skinny road. Once you pass over the road you see 4 beautiful cabins, all different shapes, sizes, and colors. The first one is a dark brown color, with huge stairs taking you up to an overhanging deck, you see many wooden and patterned chairs sitting out waiting to be used. You don't hesitate to run up the stairs as if you've never seen this place before. My home is in Hartland but I feel most at home here. You pull open the huge glass door, greeted with new light wood floors, ocean blue kitchen cabinets, and a stone fireplace. Your heart suddenly feels full, no matter how many hoodies, or shoes you buy your heart will never feel this pure happiness. 

      You run through the living room to the brown sand carpet up to your room, your wood room with blue and green bedding, this room has one queen bed that you have slept in with your cousin Rose your whole life, this room has held the late night talks, talking about everything wrong in your life while your parents are in the other room screaming at you to go to bed, these wooden walls have held the best jokes and laughs you have ever had. 

         You drop your bag on the floor pulling out everything and throwing it all over just to find a swimsuit, you throw that on and leave everything in the room, even your phone. As you run down the stairs over the gravel road to a plot of fresh green grass, running down it you see the huge tree that your dad, uncle, and guy cousins have tried to cut down for years, you run through the deck on the water and jump right in the peaceful dark midnight water, not thinking of what you look like in that moment, if you did your math homework or cleaned your room. 

         All worries seem to disappear, no bad days exist at Redstone Lake. Growing up you never realized how lucky you were to grow up with a cabin, a place to escape to, a place to bring the people you love, a place to disregard real life. Now that I am 18 I realize my childhood would never be the same without this place. It's a place that has created memories, all my cousins may be older now, grown up, in school, or with jobs but this cabin keeps us whole, no matter where you are in life the cabin is there. 

       The walls surrounding you represent the love that created this family. Going boating, surfing, and tubing on the lake is fun but sitting around the fire and talking, sitting on the deck playing music will always be your favorite memories. You never knew anywhere could change your mood from stressed and overwhelmed to no worries in the world so quickly. You admire your surroundings and not only the environment but the people surrounding you. 


The author's comments:

One of my favorite quick writes and things we did in composition was when we talked about what we loved in Wisconsin, places, restaurants, and activities we do. It connects you to the people around you and also gives you ideas of new things to do in Wisconsin. I wrote one about my cabin that I've been going to my whole life. It's a big part of what I love. I used 6 stylistic devices that I thought fit the piece