Book Review for To Kill a Mockingbird | Teen Ink

Book Review for To Kill a Mockingbird

As far as I see, "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee is a literary tour de force that speaks up against the tapestry of the racially charged 1930s in the sleepy town of Maycomb, Alabama. It animatedly revealed the lives of Scout Finch, her brother Jem, and their father, Atticus Finch, an unwavering legal luminary known for his lenient paternal love and righteous defense of African Americans in the face of the South's deeply rotten and ingrained racial prejudices. The narrative was catchy and empathetic, as if we readers could actually see the vibrant friendship between the young kids and Dill, as well as their collective curiosity towards Boo Radley. We couldn’t help but intriguingly follow the steps of the author and watch Atticus resolutely put himself forward and defend Tom Robinson, an innocent African-American wrongly accused of assaulting Mayella Ewell, even if we already knew it was going to be a no-win war to fight.

Reading through the book, I felt utterly impressed by the subtly chosen perspectives and names of the author. For instance, the “narrator” of the story, Scout, being a young and unseasoned girl with a unisex name, shared her observations and learnings from her father, serving as a beacon of moral guidance for his children. I could almost imagine gender discrimination may be another form of crucial fact and societal challenge that the young girl was going to face. Thus, her father’s teachings on empathy, courage, and honesty naturally become more special with such a juvenile.

Besides, the metaphor of “mockingbird” in the book’s title is especially enigmatic. Some readers deem that it symbolizes characters like Jem, Tom Robinson, Dill, Boo Radley, and Mr. Raymond, the innocents who were altered or harmed by the omnipresent evil. However, to me, we do not necessarily have to pigeonhole the characters but could recognize it as the general innocent, since the creature of the mockingbird itself is generally described as a gentle bird which only wants to sing and do good for others. Wanting to kill a creature that does people no harm is liable to be equated with the corruption of the human soul, just as how it happened in World War II.

Further, I have identified an expansive array of themes in the book, varying from racism to feminism and society's treatment of outsiders, poverty, classism, education, family dynamics, and the inexorable march toward maturity. It reminds us about the meaning of courage, kindness, dignity, morality, truth, and the dissonance between surface appearances and underlying truths. Instead of preaching to us to take in all kinds of notions, the novel presents a nuanced and layered narrative that respects the intellect of its audience.

Considering the cruel reality in our modern society, where diverse forms of discrimination and injustice still prevail, I would say “To Kill a Mockingbird” is a timeless masterpiece that has indispensable educational meaning. We could always learn from Atticus for his dignified and honest demeanor and integrity, even in the face of threats and insults. Meanwhile, we need to know the importance of empathy, particularly in a society where racial prejudices run rampant.

In essence, I reckon that "To Kill a Mockingbird" is not merely a novel. It is a literary gem that enables readers to traverse the complex terrain of human experience. And it lets us contemplate the essence of innocence, the inevitability of societal challenges, and the indomitable power of moral principles.