You Kill, You're Killed | Teen Ink

You Kill, You're Killed

December 4, 2023
By ChaiTea125 PLATINUM, Chandler, Arizona
ChaiTea125 PLATINUM, Chandler, Arizona
21 articles 3 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Whatever you do comes back at you."


In the dawn of night, a boy peeked through the bushes. Next to him, was a little girl, confused with what they were doing. “Why are we hiding behind a bush?” The little boy replied, “Do you see that?” The little girl looked around, but she could not see anything. That was . . . until she heard the sounds. “Cluck! Cluck! Cluck!” The little boy and girl slowly moved toward the sound until they saw its source. A chicken. “It’s just a chicken. Let’s go home,” said the girl. She only took two steps before realizing that her brother wasn’t following. “Come on little boy!” she said, “We have to go home now.” The little boy looked at his sister and said, “What if this was our dinner? I want to eat this chicken.” The little girl gave her brother a fearful look. “No! What are you? Crazy? You are not killing that chicken! Come on. Mother already made us some dinner.” The boy’s eyes stared into those of the chicken’s . . . and then into his sister’s. “Okay, then. Just give me a second,” he said. “Okay,” said the girl, as she began walking home. After arriving home, the little girl noticed that her brother was nowhere to be found. Where was he? After ten minutes, the little boy finally showed up, and in his hand . . . was a dead chicken. “You should not have killed it! Oh no, poor chicken!” “But I am soooo hungry. And I really want chicken for dinner!” said the little boy, as he opened the door and showed the chicken to his mother.
The next week, the little girl, still mad at her brother for killing a chicken, refused to go out to the forest with him. When the little boy walked into the forest, he once again found another chicken. However, something felt strange this time. He did not feel that craving anymore. Instead, his heart was filled with fear. The chicken made eye contact with the little boy and did not end the connection. Suddenly, out of nowhere, the chicken ended his gaze and started loudly clucking. The little boy, confused with what was going on, noticed that there were chickens everywhere. He tried to escape, but then the ground became quicksand. He was unable to escape. After much struggling, and no improvement, the chickens completely surrounded him and began consuming him whole.

Always think about the consequences of your actions and the impact they can have on others and yourself.


The author's comments:

This is a short fable that I have written about a boy who harms another organism for his own benefit. In my current life, I am experiencing situations where all my friends only use each other for their own benefits. What they don't realize is that friendship is something that benefits both sides, not just one. Similarly, the boy's actions only benefitted himself and in the end, things did not go well for him.