Possessed | Teen Ink

Possessed

October 28, 2023
By ChaiTea125 PLATINUM, Chandler, Arizona
ChaiTea125 PLATINUM, Chandler, Arizona
21 articles 3 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Whatever you do comes back at you."


“Beep-beep-beep”. The timer rang. “Pencils down,” my teacher said. But no. It was glued to me. It didn’t come out. And then, a sudden force controlled me. The pencil began scribbling down some random stuff. It was as if everything I was thinking in my head was going on paper. “Emilia! I told everyone to stop! This includes you,” my teacher said. “I’m sorry, Mrs. Fines. I’m trying to stop, I really am. It is as if a great spirit of one kind has taken control of my poor hand.”
Holy cow! This spirit or whatever has even taken control of my mouth. Those words sounded like something someone would say back in the 1800s. What is going on? My teacher walked up to my desk and snatched the pencil from my hand. ‘What is wrong with you Emilia? Did you really think I would believe that? What? Is the word “stupid” written on my forehead?’ I didn’t know what to say. I knew that was a rhetorical question, but my mouth still decided to respond. “No, I don’t think you are stupid. However, your name is kinda weird.”
Oh my god! Why did I say such a thing? I looked around and came to the assumption that a ghost is using my body as its host. “Shoo ghosts! Go away!” I screamed. Their entire class watched me as I jumped up and down, and side to side. I stood up on my desk and started stomping loudly. “Stay away, ghost!” I began jumping on other kids' desks, while they all started screaming in fear. “Is she really a possessed teacher?!”, my classmate asked.
“Yes! Yes, I am! Aren’t I, teacher with a weird name?” Gosh. There are moments in life where all you want to do is cry and cry and cry until your embarrassment drowns alongside your tears . . . and this is definitely how I feel. ”Emilia, this is enough young lady. You will be severely punished if you don’t get down this instant.” I really don’t want to get in trouble. But my body will NOT LISTEN TO ME.
Then, suddenly, everything felt calm. As if the ghost was no longer there. I looked down to see my very angry teacher stomping her way toward me. “You WILL get down THIS INSTANT young lady!” If this was a cartoon movie, Mrs. Fines would have steam coming out of her ears. “I’m very sorry Mrs. Fines.”
I would get down, when suddenly, I felt crazy alive. As if I had 10 cups of coffee and a whole bag of candy. I stood back up again and ran around yelling “Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No! It's me! Hahahahahahaha.” I began to laugh so hard I fell down and hit my head.
The entire class seemed still, as if I was the flash and I traveled through time. Oh my god. Maybe I do have superpowers! Maybe I am like the flash! My mind was racing — get it? Because the flash runs . . . and I said my mind was “racing.”
Sadly, to my disappointment, everyone seems to move back to normal. Huh? Must have been the shock. Then, my very best friend, the bestest in the world, Madeline, ran to me and told me to jump on the teacher's desk and do whatever I wanted. I didn’t know what to do? I want to do what Madeline told me to, but I didn’t want to get in trouble.
My teacher charged at me, yelling for me to quit running around the classroom. She then said the words “you are in a lot of trouble young lady!” in the world's angriest tone.
Jackpot! Looks like I’m already in trouble. So what's the harm of doing one more mischievous act? I jumped onto the closest desk toward me and jumped onto the desks one by one to get closer to the teacher’s desk.
“Ribbit, ribbit! Look at me everybody! I’m a frog.”
I finally got to the teacher’s desk and began screaming at the top of my lungs.
“I'm the king of the castle. You’re a dirty rascal!”
Right then, the principal burst into the classroom. “Get down right now young lady!”, she said in a very cross tone. I just stomped and said, “no”. I wasn’t scared of her! She isn’t my boss of me.
Just then, from behind her, came both of my parents. My mommy and daddy. Here. Oh. No. “Emilia Spirit Jenkins! You will get down this instant.” They said my full name. I am in a LOT of trouble. I replied instantly and did as she commanded. “Yes mommy.” She then asked me to apologize to everyone for being a bad child. “I’m very sorry for being a bad child”, I said.
However, even after my apology, my teacher still didn’t seem to calm down. Why couldn’t this woman just relax for once! My mother scolded me. “Emilia, why did you do this? Why were you acting like a little psychopath that I know you are not?” I just looked at her. Dumbfounded. I mean, before it was the
ghost. However, in the end, I don’t remember the ghost. I was in complete control. I did everything. Me. “I don’t know mommy. I just . . . don’t . . . know.”


The author's comments:

This piece was written in my free time while I was pondering the ways a child thinks. Our assignment in my 9th grade class was to "step into someone else's shoes." Later that day, while I was playing tennis with my friends, I saw a mischievous child. She didn't listen to anyone but her mom. This inspired me to write this piece called "Possessed."