Perseus' Vision | Teen Ink

Perseus' Vision

By est16 ELITE, Hewitt, Texas
est16 ELITE, Hewitt, Texas

Droplets of icy-blue water enveloped the sea. White, foamy froth covered the sea like a frozen lake. Waves splashed furiously against the sea. A certain shadow of a man appeared through the hazed, darkening sky. The man’s face couldn’t be seen due to the darkness; yet only a mop of shagged, whitened hair was visible. Frightened brown eyes masked his otherwise crafty smile. His feet shuffled through the rough sand; brushing away his sandals. This man, he lifted something heavy. A box, perhaps; a wooden chest.

A maddened glint flashed through the man’s eyes as he tossed the wooden chest into the sea. Yet, as the chest was tossed, the man muttered strange ravings. Ravings such as, “Prophecy...King of Argos...Death...By...Daughter’s Son.” Yet, this man was not mad. He couldn’t be; for… 

***

Perseus, a handsome blonde youth, gazed at his mother’s seemingly lifeless form, His blue eyes, matching the sea, were filled with fear. The box seemed to sway like a blowing tree, each sway heavier than its predecessor. The air felt heavy and slightly painful. For Perseus and his mother are trapped in a box under the sea! Moving towards his mother, Perseus rested his head against her beautiful red locks. The painful air stopped; the heaviness halted.

***

A soft, gentle presence of light shone against Perseus’ eyes. His eyes slowly lifted; seeing before him a woman clothed with dazzling white light. “Mother…” Perseus began. Yet, the woman standing before Perseus was not his mother. This woman of curled brown locks was dressed in the armor of a warrior./ A white dress with a flowing cape covered the woman. In her hand was a circular, golden shield; designed with a certain carving of a woman with hair sticking up wildly Perseus could not help but wonder the carving; its significance. “It is I, Athena,” the woman coaxed softly, “do not be afraid, Perseus.” The boy’s hands trembled; in awe over Athena’s presence. “Listen to my words well, Perseus,” Athena continued. “You are destined to become a great warrior. Yet, as you grow, you will ignore my advice, my instruction.After the defeat of Acrisius, king of Argos, you must defeat a woman with hair of writhing snakes. Yet, you must also take heed of my advice to you: Go to the Hesperides, nymphs tending to Hera’s, wife of Zeus, garden. The Hesperides will grant you gifts to help defeat the woman with hair of writhing snakes.” The shield glowed a neon green; the image embedded into Perseus’s eyes. “Perseus, son of Zeus and Danae, I bid you farewell.” With that, Athena disappeared; a ghostly-gray mist.

***

Perseus grew up in the island of Serifos, raised by the fisherman Dictys. Dictys’ brother, King Polydectes, fell in love with Danae; yet Perseus was suspicious of his action. While trying to protect his mother, Perseus faced threats from Polydectes to be sent away. Polydectes introduced a great banquet where each guest would grant him gifts of horses. Perseus didn’t have any horse to give to Polydectes, yet he requested to bring the king one gift of his choosing. Polydectes commanded Perseus to bring him the head of a monster, a woman with hair of writhing snakes!

***

A warm, welcoming wind greeted Perseus. A white toga was strapped against his shoulder, covering his bare chest. The sun shone brightly against Perseus’ strong, muscular frame. Elegant nymphs played the harp as they tended to red, blue, yellow, and purple flowers. “Perseus,” one of the nymphs called while looking up. “We’ve been expecting you.” Perseus looked awed, having forgotten Athena’s words. “We are required to hand you the weapons, the gifts, to defeat the monstrous Gorgon.” “Me? Requiring weapons?” Perseus scoffed. “Why must I when I have my strength, my cunning, to defeat anything that crosses my path?” Annoyed by Perseus’ prideful words, one nymph spoke, “Please Perseus, heed Athena’s advice; for it is best. Let us grant you your weapons.” “NO!” Perseus yelled, pushing aside the nymphs. The nymphs, now stunned, let him pass. Yet, a final warning was heard, “When you are overpowered by the Gorgon, you shall wish you listened to Athena’s advice!”

***

A hot, steamy air draped beads of sweat onto Perseus’ forehead. Shrubs of grass and vine hedges blocked at his path. Statues, grayed statues, frowned at Perseus’ entrance. Each statue seemed to open their mouths in awe, in fear. Their eyes looked blinded, no eyeballs were visible. Perseus gazed into their eyes, frightened. As soon as eye contact was made, the eyes of the statues glowed an ominous blue. Their mouths now included fangs; a forked tongue like a snake’s. “Turn back, Perseus!” The statues hissed silently. “Turn back!”

***

Perseus turned to run, yet a heavy breathing forced him to stop. The breathing, deep and guttural, pounded into Perseus’ ears. A sharp clanging sound emerged, getting closer. Suddenly, Perseus saw it. A paled monstrous-looking woman stood before Perseus. Her arms and legs were paled like her face, yet reeked of a green slime. Her claws were metallic, yet covered with black. A green dress, once deemed beautiful, was now slightly ragged. Her eyes, once a beautiful light green, were now pale gray with speckles of white. Yet, her hair was that of writhing snakes! “Perseus, son of Zeus,” the ragged, guttural voice announced, “I see you have not turned back.” 

Perseus wore a bronze-plated armor; a circular gold shield gripped against his hand. A bronze sword, sharpened carefully

School assignment about the Greek mythology story of Perseus