Caylin | Teen Ink

Caylin

By Ilovedogs1010 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Ilovedogs1010 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

My name means girl or lass. It is like a cool, spring day. Where there’s a field full of roses and daffodils and fawns prancing around. It is refreshing, like a sip of ice cold water after a marathon and it’s fresh and crisp. My name means a girl, but it symbolizes so much more.

I was almost named Carlee. Although it is similar, it has a whole different meaning. Carlee is like the name of a girl who is carefree and doesn’t care what people think. She is the type of girl who feels free and is flying through the air. Although being that way is nice, that is not me. I am grounded, down to earth, like my name. People with my name have goals, but they are reachable. I don’t like getting my hopes up for something that will never happen.

When I tell people my name they usually get confused. It takes me three times to clarify to them what my name actually is. They think it is Caylee, or Caitlin, or something not even close. Although it happens over and over I would not change it for having a boring sounding name. It just wouldn’t be me.

The first time I met someone with my name I was just ten. She was a lot older. She seems to be exactly what I imagined. But, she spelled it differently. Her name started with a K. To me, it’s completely different. My name starting with a K may be similar on the surface, but they are very different on the inside. My name spelled right is sweet and refreshing. My name spelled wrong is uncomfortable and cold. She is way different than me.

My name is reassuring. It reminds me of who I am and what I have done. It makes me remember everything I have accomplished and what I am proud of. My name sounds like someone who is important. Like a CEO. My name is the name of someone who is a hard worker and everyone knows it. They respect her for it.

I would never want to change my name, I just wouldn’t be myself. My name has shaped my whole life. The name, Caylin, is beautiful. If I had to choose though I would choose Callie. I think it is a very sweet name and would almost fit me as perfectly as my name.