Death And Glory | Teen Ink

Death And Glory

By bowlnoodles BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado
bowlnoodles BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado

Too hot. I hate it. I hate everything about it. Just brown, a giant sea of brown. Not a single cloud in sight. Just sun and blue skies. Heh, if we were at the beach this would be perfect. But nope, here I am with nine other dudes watching a small camp, deployed in this godforsaken desert. My gear is heavy, I’m in a pool of my own sweat, and I’ve been standing out here for around five hours staring at nothing. If I had known that joining the military would be this miserable, I’d be-
“Kat, stop day dreaming and keep watch!” My Senior Medic, Derrick Seth, interrupts.
“Yes sir.” I reply
Derrick Seth.  He’s our squad leader and the guy that’s supposed to keep everyone in check. Even though were both Combat Medics and this is our first deployment, he’s still a couple of ranks above me. Load of bull if you ask me.  He thinks he’s all high and mighty, spouting fake non-sense all the time. Thinks he’s such a big shot now that he’s a squad leader. Never seen a more naïve and useless person in my life. If I was in his position, I’d be doing his job better, tenfold, guaranteed. 
I enlisted to be a Combat Medic, emphasis on combat, yet here we are, watching some checkpoint that no one comes through. I didn’t sign up to be some dumb parking lot security guard that raises a stupid gate up and down all day, checking ID’s. I wanna bask in the glory of a real war hero, the real sweet sound of ‘thank you for your service’ when I get home. Thanks Kat. You’re a real hero Kat. Wouldn’t have made it out there without you. Those are the words that I’m waiting to hear. That’s the real reason why I joined to serve our country.
One of the guys from the barracks walks up to me, “Time to switch watch, Kat.”  
“Though you’d never ask.” Finally done with this crap.
I walk back to the barracks and head inside. The whole thing is made out of wood and the roof is just some pieces of sheet metal. Beds are aligned along the walls and there is zero privacy. At the end of each bed is a steel case to store your gear in. Home sweet home.
Stripping off my gear, I-
“It’s an ambush!” The guys from outside yell.
Bullets riddle the wooden walls of the barracks and I immediately hit the dirt.
As the fire continues, I’m on my elbows and knees crawling towards the entrance. I get midway through the doorway and Seth pulls me down the stairs behind some sandbags.
“Kat, thank god, are you alright?”
I barely can muster my voice, “Y-yeah.”
“The whole camp is surrounded, we have helicopter evac on its way. We’re going to have to make a break south, where we’ve regrouped.”
I nod silently.

We sprint out from behind the sandbags and the whizzing of bullets fill the air, kicking up the sand from under us.
We spring for about fifty meters and-
“AHHH!”
I hear gear drop to the ground and stop dead in my tracks.
Everything goes quiet.
What do I do.
I’m scared.
I want to go home.

“Kat, what the hell are you doing?! Help me drag him to cover!” Another soldier running next to me, yells right into my ear.
I snap out my panic and sprint over to Seth, grabbing his shoulder and start pulling him to safety. Seth’s uniform starts flooding with red and he leaves a bloody trail in the sand behind him.
We finally arrive behind some high rocks for cover.
“Get him patched up!” The soldier that helped drag Seth, begins shooting from behind the rock.
Adrenaline shooting through my veins, I clumsily take out my Med kit and attempt to patch up the wound. He coughs up blood and starts shaking violently.
He places his hand on my shoulder as I lean over him, as I desperately try and stop the bleeding. He stares straight into my eyes.
All I can see is fear.
“Y-you’ll be fine Seth, hang in there, it isn’t bad…” I attempt to console Seth.
His hand droops off my shoulder and hits the sand.
His eyes glaze over.
No. This isn’t real.
“Seth come on, stay with me,” I shake Seth on the ground and get no response, “Seth, please..”
  The soldier providing covering fire, pulls me to the side, “He’s gone, we have to leave or were getting left behind.” My legs shake as I get up and pick up the dog tags off Seth’s neck.

Being a hero. Fame. Revere. None of it matters when there’s a family that won’t get their son coming back home. Or a wife waiting patiently for her husband to come off that plane. There’s only one thing that matters out there, the man fighting next to you.

Leo grew up in Colorado along side many fantasy games and books. Through this environment, he has learned to generate random scenarios and link them together to create fictional plots and expresses them through writing.