A Cup of Coffee in January | Teen Ink

A Cup of Coffee in January

August 6, 2014
By 123IRIS SILVER, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
123IRIS SILVER, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes, the most real things in the world are the things we can't see." - The Polar Express


She stood outside the coffee shop. Snowflakes fell into her black, steamy drink while she stared across the street, monitoring the old warehouse two doors down out of the corner of her eye. She’d been on this case for months but she hadn’t cracked it yet. Somehow, six highly paid D.C. lawyers were linked to recent bombing attempts and Vicky Carter was going to get to the bottom of it. After going through their phone records, she found that all six suspects had made calls to that very building, despite the fact that it had been abandoned for years.

So, now she waited, for a sign or sound that would prove that this trip hadn’t been a waste of time. She was just about to head back to her office in the Pentagon when suddenly a wave of nausea came over her. Everything became blurry and she struggled to see straight. She stumbled, dropping her coffee onto the street. Suddenly a black SUV pulled up and just before she passed out, she felt two hands shove her inside the car.
+
Vicky woke up to a pounding in her head like a high school marching band. She struggled to open her eyes and when she finally did, everything looked like a Picasso but she could tell she was in some kind of warehouse.
“Ah, so the famous Agent Carter finally decides to wake from her not-so-pleasant slumber.” Vicky doesn’t have to be able to see to recognize that slimy Russian accent.
“Anton Macovin, what a pleasure to see you again.” Vicky tried to reply but it came out very slurry, considering the fact that her tough felt like solid lead.
“Oh, my dear friend, you sound terrible! Don’t worry, I’ll relieve you soon enough.”
“What did you do to those lawyers Macovin?” Vicky shouted. She struggled to stand but she was bound to a metal folding chair.
“Nothing those unfaithful men didn’t do to themselves. I just showed them a couple photos and they did whatever I asked. All I did was tie up loose ends with my favorite 9mm.”
“So you were behind those bombing attempts?”
Things had come into focus and Agent Carter could see very clearly the homemade bomb on the table behind Macovin.
“The key word in that accusation is attempts, foiled by you of course. But all is forgiven; in fact, I will allow you to be apart of my first full-fledged act of terrorism.”
He turned to the device and before he even touched it shots rang out and he hit the floor with a bullet hole in his shoulder. Armed swat members flooded the warehouse and Macovin looked up to see Agent Carter standing over him with a gun in her hand, “Three pointers for the next time you kidnap someone: one, don’t use duck tape, two, check for a hidden piece, and three, check for a wire. I swear, terrorists are getting dumber by the day.


The author's comments:
The product of a game.