Kauh - Traveler of the Sea | Teen Ink

Kauh - Traveler of the Sea

Once upon a time in the luscious forests of South America lived a boy named Kauh. Kauh was part of the Mandane clan, which were located somewhere north in South America. The village consisted of about 150 villagers, and it was a rural colonization, their homes were little huts made out of sticks and leaves. All they did was survive, they grew and hunted food and that’s about all they did. Kauh’s family tended the communal garden, which grew all sorts of grain and vegetables. All was calm until Kauh’s mother Afeaa was diagnosed with a deadly virus one morning. This was devastating news because since they didn’t have any medicine this meant Kauh’s mother was heading toward death. Though Afeaa told Kauh not to worry, Kauh did worry and he went to Lihok’s hut. Lihuk was a wise old man, friend of Kauh, he knew a lot of things about the outside world. Kauh told Lihok about his situation and Lihok talked to him about a village which had all sorts of medicine, but it was across the sea.

The next morning Kauh woke up, dressed, said goodbye to his mother and started gathering all the stuff he needed. He asked the ship maker for a raft, grabbed some food and water, and his hunting spear his grandfather gave him for his 9th birthday. He knew this would be a dangerous trip and many things could happen to him, but he was determined to do anything for his mother.

After the first day of sailing he had about roughly one more day, to arrive to the island. He started eating some corn when suddenly his raft started to shake and almost tipped over. Alerted Kauh balanced himself and grabbed his spear. He knew this was a shark but the problem was that he didn’t know what to do. The only thing he had ever hunted was some fish in a lake, and he wasn’t the greatest thrower. The only thing he could do was stay calm and if the shark got close enough he could try to stab it. The shark was circulating around the raft, trying to see what his next move would be. Kauh hold firmly onto his spear in his throwing position. The shark decided it would make a move and see if he could tip over the raft, but right as it was approaching the raft Kauh threw his spear. The spear spiraled through the air, with its sharpened edge. It seemed like it would hit but it also appeared like it would miss, but it hit right in the sharks cranium. Though it was a good hit, the shark did not die but it swam away. Kauh knew that if it came back he would certainly be in a very dangerous situation since he wouldn’t have anything to defend himself with. Kauh then sat down and began to eat some more corn, but he noticed he was running low but luckily enough in the horizon he could see the island.

It took him kauh about 9 hours to finally reach shore, it was about late night. He really didn’t know what to do he couldn’t see a village anywhere but maybe it was more inland . So he started walking towards the jungle. He could hear something but he couldn’t quite figure it out. So he sprinted as fast as he could and finally made out the noise it sounded like a ceremonial chant and he got closer and closer until he saw a fire. He walked slowly because he wasn’t sure how the people would react to his arrival. So he came out of the bush and said “Hi”. Everybody turned around, the chanting stopped, a man out the group walked toward Kauh and asked why he was here. Kauh explained his situation, and they managed a trade for the medicine. Kauh stayed in a visitor hut for the night.

The very next morning Kauh woke up in the visitor hut. He took a shower and cleaned his closed which were dirty from the sea water. The village was very welcoming they gave him breakfast and a new spear. Kauh was very grateful. Right after he finished breakfast he said goodbye and started heading back. Kauh thought everything would be easy but it turned out it would not. He could see that the clouds were turning very dark and winds were gaining speed. A storm was forming. Kauh’s raft was simple. It was two old and dirty wooden planks tied with vines, a sail made out of cloth and two barrels to keep the raft afloat. At first it started raining but that didn’t bother Kauh, the only thing he cared about was keeping the medicine safe in his hands. But the storm started to quickly rise in danger, the rain began to get heavier and the rain drops were falling so hard that they were hurting Kauh. The waves were also increasing in size, one was so strong that it made the raft jump into the air. Then lightning started to strike, this got Kauh very frightned, but finally after about an hour of lightning, rain drops as large as marbles and waves as those of a tsunami. The storm started to wither away and Kauh survived and he still the had medicine. The worst part of the storm was after the storm when Kauh realized that all the food and supplies he had were washed away and were now long lost.

The next day Kauh woke up starving and was forced to eat some seaweed. Even though it tasted disgusting and it had no real nutritional value it felt good to have something in his stomach. He stared towards the sky and just thought about his life. He saw that he had gone a long away and that he had accomplished something great in his life. All he wanted to see was his mother back in a healthy state and live on with his life.

Finally about after 7 hours he could see his home village. Nobody knew that he left, or at least he didn’t tell anybody. He broke a piece off his raft and started rowing to arrive quicker, but he was so tired the rowing didn’t actually help. Then after several hours Kauh was finally back home, he was so tired he crawled off the raft. He tried to stand up but he stumbled and he thought that he couldn’t make to the village which was inland. Luckily one of Kauh’s friend Jatul was collecting some coconuts and found Kauh on the sand unconscious. Jatul ran to Kauh and carried him to the village, where Kauh was put in a bed and was given some food and water. After being fed and taken care of he started walking toward his his hut were he found his mother in a critical state, but he gave the medicine to the nurse that was taken care of Afeaa. Kauh started to tear up, but he was glad he got the medicine to cure his mother. He went to bed praying that his mother would be okay.

The next morning he was woken up by the nurse. Kauhh’s mother was in good condition, she didn’t look as bad as the day before. Kauh was relieved that his work was worth it. From that day one Kauh was known as the traveler of the seas and his story would be told throughout the village for centuries.