The Perfect Wave | Teen Ink

The Perfect Wave

By Nicholas Turkisher BRONZE, Corvallis, Oregon
Nicholas Turkisher BRONZE, Corvallis, Oregon

The sun was all that was in the sky. No wind, clouds, or rain. We were heading down to the ocean that borders the island Kauai. I sprint towards the ocean without shoes and a board. When my feet touch the clear water I was surprised. “Wow, a lot warmer than Oregon’s beaches!” I say to myself. “Come on Nick the water’s amazing!” said my cousin Ryan. When I got deep enough, I floated on my board letting the ocean’s calmest waves carry me away. But suddenly, I realize I could do more than relax and get a sun burn. Using my boogie board with the waves could give me a sweet ride. I ask Ryan and we settle in place to wait for the biggest wave. Thirty seconds pass...Two minutes pass…Five minutes. “This is boring!” said Ryan. “Patience, a wave will come.” I answer. But soon I start to agree with him. Suddenly this huge wave in the distance was getting larger as it came closer to shore. I hear other people on boards murmur with excitement. I stand for the best chance of catching it. When it was 10 feet away from me, I push myself onto the board. The wave crashed and pushed me straight up to my parents on their beach chairs. Finally I was satisfied and went back to relaxing on my board. After all, it was the perfect wave.