Bound for Freedom | Teen Ink

Bound for Freedom

May 8, 2024
By Dylan987 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Dylan987 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Obsession beats talent every time"


He was a 17 year old kid with dreams of making it to the U.S., living off in an old run down church with his fellow members of the cartel. He would soon realize the way he is living isn’t his ideal for his coming family. His name is Xavier, he was quite skinny, with ink across his stomach saying “El Toro” meaning the bull. Living in Sinaloa, Mexico, violence is an everyday thing for Xavier, he is in charge of taking business for the higher ups. Xavier was always the type to listen with no questions asked. He dropped out of school at the age of 13 after his parents were murder in a shooting, leaving only his brother Emanuel by his side. One fateful day, the boss of the cartel would order him to do a daring task he wouldn’t forget.


“Xavier come here” he commanded.


“Yeah what is it about?” asked Xavier.


“I need you to do something” he responded 


“Yeah what is *cuts off.


“Tell your brother to meet me tonight at the parking lot, now go” he said tensely.


Xavier would go off confused as to why he needed his brother and usually he wouldn’t think too much about what he asked but, it was brother, his only family. As the dusk sets in, Xavier would go back to the church and ask his brother that he is needed down the parking lot. “Emanuel, the boss needs you asap tonight at the parking lot” said Xavier. “Alright, I'll be there in a minute,” Emanuel responded. Xavier knew something was off with his brother and followed him down the parking lot close by near the church. As he walks down the crumbling street, breathing in and out he can smell the marijuana fuming in the air. The sounds of broken glass being stepped on and burning barrels being used to warm themselves. As he approaches the parking lot, he steps into an empty phone booth to peak. He would see his brother with 5 armed members and the boss, they called him Salvador. In just a blink of an eye, Salvador grabs his revolver and shoots Emanuel. 


“That's what you get Emanuel for disobeying me, you listen to me!” said Salvador anguish. As Emanuel lays down on the ground holding his stomach in. Salvador talks in a soft voice, “We are familia you know, I took you in when you had nothing and you doing this sh** behind my back, it sucks, it hurts me too.” Xavier froze completely in shock. “My brother is dead,” he whispers to himself. His eyes were teary, the phonebooth rang. Xavier would meet eyes with Salvador. At last, Xavier thought he was a dead man but Salvador didn’t recognize him through the dirty glass to the booth. Xavier would not be seen at the church that night.


Loud bangs! The door would swing right open. Xavier's girlfriend Maria. “What happened to you” Maria in shock of Xavier crying. “They killed him” responded Xavier coughing. He couldn’t take it any more, his only family dead right in front of his eyes. “I can’t live like this no more, this life is not it, I want out’ said Xavier whimpering. Maria would hold him tightly, suddenly she would grasp in pain of her stomach and at this time Maria was pregnant. Xavier knowing this he settles on leaving the cartel. After that night, Xavier wanted outs for his family, he knew the cartel wouldn’t let him off easily but, just maybe he can slip. Xavier would talk to the higher ups of the carte and ask Miguel as he grew up with him. 


“Hey Miguel, I want out,” said Xavier. 


“What do you mean ? You can’t just leave, you are our family” said Miguel. 


“Am grateful for you taking me in and my brother but, my brother was murder by the boss and soon ama gonna have a kid, I want to be the father I never had when I was younger. I want to get a job and make money the right way” said Xavier intrigued. 


“Hey man because we grew up together, ama pretend I never heard this, go on and take one of the trucks, there is a tunnel connecting Tijuana to the U.S.” Miguel responded. 


“I'm grateful for you,” said Xavier. It was a 2 day trip from Sinaloa to Tijuana. As I reached my destination it was quite the weather change going from a subtropical weather to a more summery dry kind of weather. With this map, Miguel gave to me the tunnel was underground. It was quite big, of which you can stand up. It was another day or so before making it to the end. It was hot and the place was full of spiders crawling. Even worse for Maria. 


“We made it Maria” This is the U.S. the place of opportunity, the American dream. As they settled their things they arrived in San Diego. Soon both of them would realize that it is hard to find a job in the U.S. as most businesses don’t want illegals working for them. “This place ain’t really it when you have no money Xavier” said Maria. “I know but, we got to keep looking,” Xavier responded. After hours of looking, a person named Dante would offer them a job in the fields including free housing. They were excited but it wouldn’t last too long. 


As they settled in their small home, it was cramped. It was quite similar to homes in Sinaloa of where they lived, like they had basic lighting, a toilet, and a small kitchen. After resting they were brought to work on the fields soon they realized it was hard making money here. As the check came in they were given 20 dollars for the day of work. They knew this was better than living in Sinaloa making barely no money, to them 20 dollars was the most money they ever saw. “Maria, what is wrong?” said Xavier. “My stomach really hurts and my lower back” responded Maria as she trembled. “We have to take you to the hospital. There is one nearby not too far” said Xavier worried. 


“Dante, can you take us to the hospital Maria is going into labor” said Xavier.


“Sure I do it but, you are going to get caught by Immigration police” said Dante. 


“It's whatever I have to do,” said Xavier.


They would drive to the hospital and then to the emergency room. After 12 hours Xavier would be met with the news. “Sir, it is sad to inform you that your wife is dead,” said the nurse. “I can’t believe it, how about the baby?” Xavier responded. “It was a healthy baby boy” said the nurse, as she handed the baby over. “I can’t believe it, '' said Xavier, tears falling down to the floor. 


The author's comments:

I wrote this story as I felt inspired hearing other people's story about how they cross the borders or trying to find a better life in the U.S.