Forgetting to Remember | Teen Ink

Forgetting to Remember

May 26, 2022
By Ely_Bowles BRONZE, Willits, California
Ely_Bowles BRONZE, Willits, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

His friend was there - right there standing in front of him, protecting him - but he knew it was hopeless. There was no point. The man would just kill them both. The man was crazy. 

Looking at the crazed man, he knew he had to do something to protect his friend. He had called the cops but they wouldn't make it in time before someone was shot. They stood there waiting. Then in the distance he heard sirens. The man turned and saw the cops and then it happened. The man shot his gun. Time seemed to slow down. He saw the bullet inching towards his friend. He was positive it would hit him. He couldn't let it happen. He pulled his friend out of the way just in time to save him, but not in time to save himself. He felt the bullet hit him right in the chest. Pain flared throughout his body. He fell down. The last things he saw were the cops catching the man, his friend standing over him crying, calling for help. Then…darkness. 

He remembered practically nothing. He did not remember his family. Nor could he remember his age or his name. He could not remember the name of his first pet. He could not recall his favorite color. His favorite fruit escaped him. He forgot how to make his dad's favorite cookies. He did not remember his favorite movie. He did not even remember his own birthday. He did not remember any of the fun things he had done in his life. 

What he could remember - wind and rain. Cold, cold rain. Pouring down, with the wind blowing it made the rain fall faster and come down harder, like bullets shot from the sky. The rain soaked his ocean blue hoodie. The hoodie may have been wet and quite cold, however he was thankful for its existence as it stopped the rain from hitting his headphones. All around him were shadows, shadows of trees. The forest consisted of the tallest trees he had ever seen, all fighting for room and height. About four hundred feet away there was a house. It was nothing tall, as if the house didn't want to compete with the trees for access to the sky. He remembered walking towards the house slowly while he listened to his music and the sound of the rain violently hitting the broken concrete road beneath him. 

He listened to the sound of the trees swaying in the strong wind, fighting to not be knocked down. He was halfway there when he heard a loud crack. He looked above him and he saw it, a branch had broken off and started falling, barrelling towards him. He ran for the house.


The author's comments:

I am a Freshman in high school and this is my first time attempting to publish my work. This is a short story based off the story "Bullet in the Brain" by Tobias Wolff.