The God of Wishes | Teen Ink

The God of Wishes

April 13, 2022
By BurnToast BRONZE, Mobile, Alabama
BurnToast BRONZE, Mobile, Alabama
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Arc, the god of Wishes, would fulfill the wishes of anyone who asked. But there was a price. You had to sacrifice the souls of three, along with your own. Once the three souls were obliviated, Arc would satisfy your wish. With the destruction of your soul, reincarnation was impossible.

There was once a youthful knight of silky, golden hair and bright green eyes who had heard about Arc. He decided to pay him a visit. The knight headed past the Northern Empire of Destaibelkan. The most Herculean empire in all of Dalythican. It had been trading and conquering since the 218 Solar Cycle. He then passed through the Great Flopriathlete Forest, encompassed by all of Dalythican’s most savage, vicious creatures. The knight arrived at Arc's shrine. The shrine comprised of a single altar upon which sat a sacred text. The text was written in Guillodin, the language of the primordial gods who created and maintained the world. On the ground in front of the altar were strange carvings arranged in a circle. The carvings depicted a four-armed humanoid creature sitting atop the Moon. Surrounding the creature were humans, elves, and dwarves of Dalythican who appeared to be worshipping the creature.

"O great god of wishes, Arc. I desire a wish to be fulfilled in exchange for my soul," the knight said. The carvings radiated a blue light and with a shudder much like an earthquake rose a stone statue with eight glowing blue eyes. A bald head with many scraps and scratches; four arms, three on the left and one on the right, with human hearts on the left hands. A word inscribed in Guillodinian on the right hand, and vein-like cuts in the stone with a substance like lightning coursing through them. Much like the carvings upon which the statue emerged.

Hearing this, Arc replied "What do you want, knight, in exchange for your soul."

The old knight thought and said, "When I was young, and went by the name of Edward, I stole the Pear of Perpetuity, the fruit of immortality. For this, the Primordial Goddess of Life, Yves, cursed me. I will die in ten years and I will not be reborn. My soul will be destroyed. I wish to have the Skeleton Key, the key to open the doors between Sovngarde and Niflheim."

Arc’s eyebrows lifted in surprise. “Sovngarde and Niflheim… you wish to release the great warriors of Sovngarde and the worst sinners of Niflheim upon the world,” Arc murmured under his breath. "For me to summon the Skeleton Key, I need many souls. Bring me the soul of a vagrant." Edward acknowledged Arc’s demands.  And so, the knight headed for the city. Once he had entered, the knight headed for the slums. And there he sauntered around until he found a homeless man.

“If you come with me,” the knight said, “I will give you a job and a place to live.” Having nowhere to go, the homeless man followed. He brought him to the shrine. “Arc, come out and take your sacrifice.” The shrine rose from the ground and its top left hand, now empty, reached through the poor man’s body and pulled out his heart. Arc compressed the heart, the blood gushing onto the feet of the statue until a pure white orb rose out. He held it in his hand.

“Now, bring me the soul of a peasant." And so, the knight did.

"Outstanding work!” cried Arc “Now, I desire one more soul. Bring me the soul of a child." And when the knight heard this he started crying. "What is wrong, knight, didn't you want revenge on the goddess by destroying humanity?" queried Arc.

"Arc… I can't kill a child. It’s against the Bokulindei knight’s code of conduct!" exclaimed the knight.

"How many children will die if you open the gates of Sovngarde and Niflheim… There will be no one left! If you truly want your revenge you have to be able to at least kill a child. Now leave!" And so, the weeping knight left.

Destined to live out the rest of his days in despair, the knight decided to end his misery. He fastened a rope around his neck, and with one final gaze across the land, he let go.