Morning Light | Teen Ink

Morning Light

By alyssahdakada1111 BRONZE, Bloomington, Indiana
alyssahdakada1111 BRONZE, Bloomington, Indiana

I grew more and more anxious as time went on. Alyssah and Emerson left this morning and it’s nightfall now. I paced around the small garden. I pulled weeds and the flower heads that had started to cripple. I can hear Juniper in his shed mending metals. The radio blaring unflavorful tunes into the air. After having enough I ran inside to wash the dishes. 

I washed my hands and rid them of the dirt. I pull my blonde curls into a ponytail and start doing the dishes. My mind slips to the bad things that could’ve happened. What if she accidentally shot herself. She can barely shoot. Why did we send them? Living here isn’t bad. We don’t have much but it’s enough. What if they just went to the obsidian? NO. They would never do that. I was snapped out of my thoughts when I felt a sting on my hand. I hurry up and rise it off. I turn the water off and grab the main safety kit. I bandaged my hand up as Juniper came in. 

“What did you do? Are you okay?” He said extremely fast as he rushed beside me. “I’m fine.” I mumbled out as he examined my hand. “It’s deep. I might need to give you stitches.” I pushed his hand out the way and finished wrapping it. “Last time that didn’t go so well and it’s fine.” He let out a sarcastic scoff. “I did amazing, you just moved.” I rolled my eyes and went to the living room. “Do you think they’ll be home soon? It’s been hours.” His demeanor changed. “If they’re not back in an hour, I’ll look for them.” I immediately wanted to say no but he wouldn’t  listen. Knowing him he’d do it out of spite. “Okay, but do you think that it’s a good idea?” He stood up and walked into the kitchen. “I think so. Does juice and scones sound good?” I nodded and set up the chess board. Each piece is from a different set. 

He called my name into the kitchen. I see some smoke fill the air and my nose. I sneeze multiple times as  I grab the rag and pull them off the rack. He opens the window and the smoke flows out. I laugh when I see the scones with a coat of black. “Juniper, how does this even happen?” He lets out a stream of obnoxious laughs along with some swears. I scrape off as much as I can and put them on a plate with some strawberry jelly I made last week. I brought the plate in as he carried the mugs of lemonaid. We sat and played. I won 3 times. Juniper broke the fun when he started to put his shoes on. 

“Be careful.” I say as he hooks his bow to his back. “I’ll be fine. I’ll see you before the morning lights.” He bends his head down and kisses my forehead. I went back inside and cleaned as I waited. 

Every bit of the house has been organized twice when I heard a clang in the yard. I grab Juniper’s knife and Alyssah’s jacket. I pull my arms quietly as I look out the window. When I saw the familiar curls I let out the breath I didn’t know I was holding. “Juniper, I could've killed you!” I yelled as he stumbled inside. He fell onto the chair holding his side. I drop the knife and start looking at the puncture. “Did something bite you?” I ran my fingers along the black lines forming on his skin. I grab the kit and pour witch hazel on the wound. He screamed and pushed me. I backed away as his eyes turned black. He blinked and they went back to his grey. “I saw Emerson. He was barely human. You need to kill me and go to the city. You need to go. Please.” Tears filled my eyes. “Alyssah?” He sniffled. “Dead! Hurry, I can’t do this much longer.” I backed away as he came towards me with the knife. “If you see something that looks like a 10 foot metal spider, run.” I backed into the wall and he handed me the knife. “KILL ME!” I started crying. “I can’t. Please?” His face twitched and he stepped back. “I love you and I’m sorry.” His eyes changed and he came closer. “I love you too.” He shoved me against the wall. I kicked him to the floor. I ran out the door and to the wooden shed. 

“Please don’t make me do this.” I whispered as I crouched behind his workstation. This was the worst place to hide. His metal artifacts scattered all over the counters and floor. I see his shadow pace back and forth in the light. Pushing my tears back I move forward not letting myself breathe too loud. “Everything is fine, come on out Lun.” My heart was pounding . “Are you sure?” It was quiet for a minute. “Yeah.” I drop the knife and walk towards the door. “I swear if this was some demented test you guys made up, I will never talk to you guys again.” I see his face. The dark lines from his wound climbed up his neck. “See, everything is fine.” He smiled and I wrapped my arms around him. “Where are they? This is a messed up birthday gift. Is this makeup or something?.” I chuckle. His grip on my shoulder tightened. “What are you doing?” I leaned my head back to see his face. Tears were streaming down but his eyes were black. “I can’t help it. Please kill me. I can’t control this.” He whimpered out. I pulled my head back further and launched forward, knocking him back. He fell and landed on a garden stake.

NO. NO. NO. This wasn’t supposed to happen. We were supposed to go to the obsidian. We were supposed to be happy. And grow old. Have our own kids with people we love. This wasn’t the plan. I cry and cry until my throat is dry and my eyes are puffed up. I need to clean this. I started to dig and I did until I had a hole big enough to put him to rest. I struggle to put him in it. I pull the stake out and put it beside him. I cover him up. After hours of this I finally sit there and look at the place my brother lays. “I’m sorry. I'm so sorry. You didn’t deserve this. I do. I can’t stay here. I love you and I’m going to do everything you want to do.” I stand up and go inside to pack. 

With my bag full of supplies, I climb on the motorbike he had been making recently and ride towards the city in the clouds. 

This is pt. 2

I hope yall like it.

Palaye Royale inspires me so much and I hope they would appreciate my piece.