The Coldest One | Teen Ink

The Coldest One

October 22, 2021
By Anonymous

Everything begins with the winter weather in Minnesota. Linda and his son are watching the baking news. They've talked about this year as one of the coldest years in the U.S. And the snow storm will be coming to Minnesota this weekend, and it is the coldest week in the year.

Tommy or Tom is a son of Linda, a single mom and they live in the countryside far away from cities. Linda and her son are talking about maybe they should go buy some food tomorrow. But suddenly the news is talking about another storm coming, and it’s crashing straight into Minnesota at a high speed, it will come in 30 minutes. Tom asks his mom that maybe I can drive to the nearest store to buy some soup bread, gasoline and water. But when he steps out of the house, the cold wind makes him feel like he is frozen, his hand is going so white, his lips go so dry, it starts to bleed.

He tries to drive as fast as he can, but bad for him all the stores near there were closed already so the best choice for him right now is going to the bigger store, but it will take him 45 minutes to drive there and the storm is coming in 30 minutes. He has no choice, but he needs to do it. Tommy is driving and the weather is getting bad, he can literally see the snow is going crazy. On the road Tom keeps thinking if he can’t get food or water, maybe his family will die for that. And he starts to increase his speed. But bad for him the road is slippery, so he has lost control and the car is going straight into the tree.

At the moment nearly the dead Tom has followed his instincts, he tries to turn the wheel as much as he can. The impact sound is loud just like an animal roar. Tommy walks down the car with a dozen heads and a bit of blood.

“I need to slow down, or maybe I will kill somebody." Said Tommy. He goes to check how the car was impacted and the thing he got is half of the car is literally indented, he doesn’t have time to think about that. Tom packs up and tries to make the engine start again, lucky the car still works. In the car Tom starts to worry about his mom. “What she does at home, and if I die at that moment, how can my mom can survive?"

At the same time Linda looked out the window and whispered, “The wind outside was getting fiercer, and the sounds they made were like whips beating against each other." She tries to call Tom to make sure Tom was safe. But the phone call doesn’t match because Tom lost his phone after the impact. Linda felt she was burning from the inside, and she literally hated that feeling.

After 15 minutes Tom finally came to the store. He barely buys all the supplies they need to survive, Tom runs out the store, and he is ready to go home. Unlucky for him that the reality is kidding with him, the storm is getting worse. And Tom is having a little nervous about go home in this situation. He doesn’t want to be dead today, so he decided to stay at this store and he’ll leave tomorrow.

Tom tries to borrow a stranger's phone to call his mom, but suddenly the electricity is down. Tom is going around the store so he can catch the signal. But it's still unable to connect and Tom gives up. He starts to feel cold because they don't have electricity to run an A/C. He thinks about his mom: “Is she gonna be fine, does she feel cold, did she eat anything yet..?” And he told himself everything will be more stable tomorrow. And he fell asleep.

Tom wakes up, he sees the news is talking, the weather today is just like yesterday, snow all day and it will keep going until next weekend. Tom has no choice, he needs to go home as fast as he can. He buys more supplies and gets in the car. “It's time to go home.” Tommy said.

On the road Tom feels he can burn anything in his car, he’s worried. Also Tom doesn’t want to waste every minute, he doesn’t want his mom's life to be endangered. On the road he was justhe was just like a beastbeast, he crashed everything in front of him. He became unstoppableunstoppable. It doesn't have anything that can stop him, on the way home. And finally Tom came home with his mom. Together they survive through the cold of winter.


The author's comments:

The story based on an old story for my uncle.