College Essay | Teen Ink

College Essay

By Jordyn Craft SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Jordyn Craft SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Please tell us about the particular life experiences, talents, commitments, and/or interests you will bring to our campus that will enrich our community.

“Thank you for your help—I really appreciate it.” I look up from picking up trash to see an elderly man approaching me from his newly built home. “Even though the tornado was only two years ago, people seem to have already forgotten about Joplin. It’s nice to see help again.” I smile at the man, thank him for taking time to show appreciation, and return to picking up trash.

As I continued to walk up and down tornado alley picking up trash, I couldn’t stop thinking about what had just happened. I was dumbfounded that this man who didn’t have to thank me or anything did. Someone that I wasn’t even personally helping took time out of their lives to thank…me?

Later that day, a big, tough looking man approached my mission trip group. “Good afternoon everyone, I’m Tony.” The man said with a big smile. If I do recall correctly, Tony had more teeth missing than actual teeth. “I work for the city of Joplin. I devote my time to cleaning, fixing, and improving the city. Let me tell you a little about myself—I did two tours in Afghanistan and then returned to Joplin shortly before the tornado hit. In Afghanistan, I witnessed my brother shot and killed right in front of me and found one of my friends shortly after they were blown up by a bomb.” I stood there, feeling sorrow for the man. Just when I thought Tony was done with the sad stories, he continued.

“I still remember very clearly the day the tornado hit. I was driving home from work when I saw it approaching me. I pulled my car over into the ditch. In the ditch, I was able to find a pole that I could securely strap myself to with my belt. Once the tornado passed me, I was lifted about five feet off the ground but attaching myself to the pole saved my life. After the tornado passed me, I returned home. When I got home, there was a little boy, about the age of five, in my backyard and he had a tree branch sticking out of him and I quickly found help.” Now I stood there completely memorized. This man has had to go through so many bad things in his life but now he spends his time to only help others?

When I first signed up for the mission trip, I thought I was going there to help and improve the lives of the citizens of Joplin. Instead, I left Joplin with an improved attitude and perspective of life because of the citizens I encountered. They taught me that no matter how bad something is, you have to find the positive. They also re-taught me the importance of showing appreciation and compassion through their actions and conversations I was able to have with them. This experience and the lessons I was taught while there will stay with me for the rest of my life.