Becoming a Vet | Teen Ink

Becoming a Vet

“You can’t be a vet,” Nancy, my riding coach, said. “You won’t have time to ride, and you won’t like it.”
My initial response was, why? Having my coach, of all people, tell me I couldn’t pursue my passion was the hardest thing. My heart dropped, and the lump in my throat grew bigger.
“Because you won’t have time to ride, and if you want to ride, you can’t be a vet. You’re going to need to make good money if you want to be in the Olympics, and go to the World Cup Finals.”
At that moment I knew where she was going with this.
“You can be a pharmacist,” Nancy said.

At first, it sounded like a good idea. I would make decent money, and have good hours. Right then and there, I switched what I wanted to do; I was going to be a pharmacist. My mom and dad always said, “No matter what you do, we will support you.” But this time, it was different. My dad knew something was wrong; he wasn’t satisfied with the fact I changed my dreams just for one person.
“Are you sure you don’t want to be a vet?” he would ask.
The only reason I had that was backing my decision was because I would be able to pursue my horseback riding dreams. I always wanted to go to the Olympics, and Nancy and I know I have the talent to make it.

That night, I was questioning whether or not I had made the right decision. A few weeks had passed with a loss of sleep, and much stressed out. Every night I would ask myself, “Was this really what I wanted to do?”
Then, the day came when my misery ended. One of my favorite equine veterinarians came to examine one of my horses. She, along with others, had always said that I should pursue my passion.
The moment came when she said, “Do you really want to be stuck inside all day, counting pills, and wearing a white lab coat?” I knew she was dramatizing a bit, but she made an excellent point. Right then, I knew that I couldn’t change my dreams to satisfy the ones of others. I mean, what if something happened where I couldn’t ride ever again. I made myself the saying; I can’t have a hobby without a job. The triumph was big for me; it was a moment where I found myself. I realized that I can’t live to satisfy others if I am not making myself happy. I plan to go onward with no fences; nobody can take me from pursuing my dreams. I made strong connections with the vets who know that I can do it. Though sadly I have disappointed my coach, I have learned that I need to make myself happy, and being an equine veterinarian will take me there.