The Family Gathering | Teen Ink

The Family Gathering

By elianakovan1 BRONZE, Valley Stream, New York
elianakovan1 BRONZE, Valley Stream, New York

It's a beautiful afternoon in June; the sun casts a warm, golden glow over the backyard and the smell of fresh brick oven pizza fills the air. It’s that time of year again: our annual family gathering. The event kicks off with the arrival of my dad’s side, perfectly on time, as per usual. We snack on chips and salsa while my uncle takes the lead, captivating us with intriguing math riddles and engaging discussions about the world of artificial intelligence. Meanwhile, my older cousin and I partake in a game of catch, and he never ceases to marvel at the graceful parabola the ball traces, noting its impeccable symmetry, adding an insightful touch to our play. I’ve always admired the sophisticated engineering minds of these relatives and love to see their immense appreciation for knowledge, but with only one side of the family in residence, the gathering is as of yet incomplete. About an hour later, my mom's side of the family graces us with their fashionably late arrival, adding an air of excitement to the reunion. Almost instantly, my siblings and I are greeted with thoughtful gifts: vibrant paint sets, delicate ceramic pieces, and stylish new jewelry, each one a gesture of love and creativity. They always know how to add an aesthetic appeal to anything or anyone. My aunt takes a keen interest in my artistic endeavors and enjoys discussing them with me, indulging in our shared passion. A warm smile spreads across my face as I listen to the conversations seamlessly transitioning from tales of the rigors of engineering school to the vibrant narratives of the latest art gallery exhibition. I watch as the two sides of my family, who separately feel worlds apart, embrace their differences, admiring each other's strengths and talents. Their differences shine so bright, yet simultaneously compliment each other and create a stunning balance of intelligence, creativity, and, most importantly, boundless love. The rest of the night is spent with games, pizza, laughter, wine, and more pizza, leaving me with memories that I will cherish forever.
I sit here in my architecture studio, putting the final strokes on a residential sketch. It's a moment of reflection, tracing back the steps that brought me here. As I think about our annual family gathering which so eloquently highlights the contrasting influences I’ve grown up with, It dawns on me that it is precisely these diverse elements within my family that sculpted the skills and kindled the passions that now converge into the path of architecture. From the arts to the sciences of engineering, I’ve inherited skills and passions all across the board that have equipped me to be a successful architect.
From my Dad’s side of the family I’ve inherited a deep appreciation for precision, structure, and having a methodical approach to every situation. They’ve taught me the value of my time and how to use it efficiently and logically. These ingrained values and skills are invaluable assets as I venture into the field of architecture, ensuring that every line drawn and every measurement taken is accurate, and more importantly packed with purpose and efficiency.
From my Mom’s side, I’ve developed a keen eye for artistic creation, finding beauty in the most ordinary of places. They’ve shown me that there’s not a right answer for everything, and that the world is an endless realm of subjectivity and perspective. This acquired eye for aesthetics allows me to envision spaces as more than just functional constructs, and rather infuse them with personality in every line, texture, and color. They have intrinsically trained me to look at a space with a more open mind and to see a life beyond four enclosed walls.
As I watch the two ends of my family come together year after year, It has always and will continue to amaze me how beautifully the seemingly opposites complement each other so well. So too, I am confident that the diverse skills and lessons I have taken from each side will work together, enhancing the others, propelling me towards a future as a successful architect.

This piece provides an explanation of how I have decided what I want to study, Architecture. It talks about the interesting structure of my family and how that has shaped me into the person I am today and the interests I have developed.