Canvas | Teen Ink

Canvas

By Umari BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Umari BRONZE, Sacramento, California

" No Failure Only Feedback"

“No failure only feedback” My name is Umari and I'm in high school. I have 4 sisters and one brother and one of my hobbies is playing games with friends. I would like to consider my life as a canvas because I believe the painting is not finished until you die. In the future I would like to finish highschool and get into a college. And live a pretty long life, maybe to 70 but there’s no way to insure that so I'm trying to live as well as possible. So that's the reason I consider myself as a canvas, your story not over until you finish it.

The most important part about my life is life. I say this because if you don’t live how you want to live, is your life really important? But then again there are some things in life that you don’t want to do, you just have to. For example learning new things that you don’t want to learn like some forms of math like algebra and geometry. You see these things might not be useful if you're an ELA teacher or an Author for example but if you're an Math teacher or a Scientist might find this stuff very useful. At the end of the day it’s all about your profession you chose, and that’s why I say I'm a Canvas because I still don’t know what profession to choose.

There are still some things that are set in my life though. For example, my favorite book is “Long Way Down” by Jason Reynolds. The reason this is my favorite book is because the way it was written, it was a different story. This book helped me understand the summary. It also helped me understand how to visualize. That’s why it’s my favorite book of all time.

Later on in my life I want to graduate and after I graduate I want to take a 1 year break from school and then go to college. I believe that college is very important because you have something to prove that you're a smart person and not just telling someone you're smart because you will always have a diploma to prove it. And having a diploma helps you with more opportunities. My Mom has a Bachelor's Degree so does my Dad and they both have great money. And in a way I want to be like them when I grow up but I still want to be more successful. So that’s why I say that I am a Canvas so I can draw a painting that’s beautiful to some and ugly to others and lose the title of canvas and change it to painting.