Risk and Reward | Teen Ink

Risk and Reward

By Dylan987 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Dylan987 BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"Obsession beats talent every time"

A fighter whose name was Connor Mcgregor once said, “there’s no talent here this is hard work this is an obsession.” My name is Dylan Nguyen, I am a student, a son, and an intermediate lifter . However, in my own eyes I see myself as a risk-taker. I take any opportunity to be successful in my life. Like how my favorite idol said, it's an obsession which led me to become what I think is the best version of myself at this point in my life. My favorite quote from Mcgregor reminds me that I can still become successful and I don’t have to be born that way to achieve what I want. And how I get there is by taking the risk, every opportunity which in the future I would continue as a risk-taker so that I can tell my stories and be overall successful. Therefore, I'm a risk-taker who will try everything to succeed no matter what I have to do.

Trying new things is very important to me as it is a whole new experience rather it be volleyball, tennis, or even drawing all those take a certain skill. For me it is very fun learning how to do those things. And this gives me opportunities to see if I liked the sport or not. A certain sport I liked is volleyball. When I first tried it in middle school it was a bit hard as I didn’t do any other sport beforehand but, with volleyball I got obsessed with it. For example, I would play volleyball with my friends basically everyday rather it be on the black top during school or afterschool. And for me I think of myself as a risk-taker which this year I am gonna try out for the volleyball team and go on until my senior year as a volleyball player.

One of my favorite hobbies is lifting weights, because I feel like it is a big part of who I am today and I took a risk to start. I started when I was 12 years old in quarantine because of covid 19 in 2020. When I was that age I always wanted to get better but, I was always afraid to start, thinking of what people were going to say about me. It was hard and then when social media started to explode in popularity like Tik tok, there were many people who were in the same situation that I was. However, there was a lot of positivity which motivated me to just start. Which I did and after the first week of doing, I love it. At this point after quarantine was over and we were back to school I made friends and I convinced them to join with me and try weight lifting. For example, I feel like I took a risk to start as I was young and felt insecure but, I did it anyways which this lead to a lot of positivity especially with my friends because I took a risk to start I believe that it had a impact on who I am which this lead to me helping my friends. And also building a strong relationship with them. I think that since I had such a good impact  by taking a risk to start something new and turn it into where I help others. I would continue to take any risk or opportunities to better myself and help others around me

In the future, I want to be able to inspire others, especially the people around me like my friends and family. The only way that it would happen is if I take the risk to try new things and take opportunities to become better. Even though I am still young I can still have a positive impact with the people around me and with where I am going right now. I know that I can succeed and help others because I believe that if you try hard enough in life there is literally no way you can’t make it, rather it is becoming a doctor or a influencer if you try hard enough you make it. Which in the future I would want to be a role model to others and be a leader. 

In conclusion, I’m a risk taker who would do anything to succeed in my life and take any upcoming opportunities to reach my goals. I have my family and friends to support me and I would try to better myself and take risks in order to help them. Which right now I would continue to do volleyball so that when I play with my friends on the team we will win. And I continue to help them if they ask for any lifting advice, so in the future I am going to keep pushing forward and take the risk to improve myself. Then help my family and friends. If opportunities come to you, take it or remain the same. 

I am a risk-taker and I will risk everything to get what I need to be successful.