The Marigold Effect | Teen Ink

The Marigold Effect

By Mia-78, Arvada, Colorado
Mia-78, Arvada, Colorado

A tall man with messy dark hair was standing in front of a large, ornate wooden door. He stood, with a fixated gaze at the door before shifting his hands to fix his cloak and sword. The door opened and another man with pale blond hair and a scowl appeared from behind it. 

“Sir Roy, we are ready for you.” The man said

Roy looked up from adjusting his cloak, lowered his hand, and straightened. The man opened the door further and Roy walked in. The throne room was a long decorated hall with beautiful stained glass windows lining the walls of the room with colorful lights. At the end of the room, three people occupied the three magnificent thrones. The King, the Queen, and Princess Evalyn. Roy held his breath as he knelt in front of the royal family. 

“Sir Roy, thank you for coming.” The king’s gruff voice.

“Of course, your Highness. How may I be of assistance to you?” Roy responded.

“Well, I was impressed with your sword skills at the annual contest,” the king began. “I have never seen someone defeat Sir John before.” 

“My daughter wishes to travel to her sister’s for a visit, and due to your sword skills, I am trusting you to protect her,” the king said. 

He looked at the princess, who had been eyeing him. When they made eye contact, the princess quickly looked away and her face turned red.  

“I would be honored to accompany her highness on this trip,” he answered.

“Excellent.” The King clapped his hands. “You and Eva will leave tomorrow at dawn.” 

Roy nodded.

“May I be excused, sir?” he asked. 

“Yes, of course.” The King answered. 

Roy bowed and turned to leave. As he reached the door, he was certain that he’d heard the princess say:

“See, Father. I told you; you should’ve listened to me and asked him first.”  

Roy became shocked and felt himself turn red. He’d been a part of groups of guards sent to accompany the princess to the village, but he’d never thought she had actually noticed him. Roy continued to his room, lost in thought. He quickly grabbed some clothes, and books and put them in a large bag and removed his cloak, armor, and sword and put them next to the bag. Roy sat on the edge of his bed and stared at the setting sun. Suddenly, his door burst open and two men entered. A large bearded man and a smaller longed, haired man. 

“Roy!” the bearded man boomed. “Where ya been? We’ve been missin’ you!” 

Roy smiled at the two men.

“Sorry, Wilmot.”

The smaller man shook his head.

“We heard you were summoned by the Royal family! What happened? You didn’t get in trouble, did you?” Clay inquired.

“No,” Roy responded, “I got asked to escort the princess on a trip.”

The two men exploded into shouting. 

“Wha-?!”

“You’re kidding, right?”

“That’s wild, man!”

“Personally requested-” 

“Quiet, you guys!” Roy exclaimed. 

The men fell silent.

“So how long will you be gone for?” Wilmot asked. 

“I dunno. 2 weeks or so, I’d guess. We leave tomorrow.” Roy answered. 

Suddenly, a loud bell rang. 

“There’s the dinner bell,” Clay said, “We’d better get going or all the good food will be taken.”

Roy rose off the bed and followed Wilmot and Clay to the dining hall. Wilmot opened the door and three of them joined the line. Roy grabbed some bread, a bowl of soup, and roast beef and joined Wilmot and Clay at their table.

“I can’t believe you get to personally accompany the princess on a trip.” Wilmot said, “That’s impressive, man!” 

Roy flushed red with the compliment.

“I doubt it’s as big of a deal as you’re making it out to be, Wilmot.” Roy chided.

Clay looked thoughtful.

“Well, it makes sense, when you think about it,” he said, “You were the only one that was able to bring down John.”

Wilmot laughed 

“You were great! I still can’t believe that John, a giant with the best sword fighting skills before you, went down to someone who’d barely held a sword before they’d become a knight!” he said.

Roy turned even redder and looked down into his soup. 

After the knights were fully fed and satisfied, they left in packs. As Wilmot, Clay, and Roy left the hall, Roy bid them goodbye and went to his room. Roy put out the candles, crawled into the bed, and quickly fell asleep. 

Dawn came and Roy woke to the crowing of the rooster. He sat up and blinked the sleep out of his eyes. Then, flipping off the covers, he quickly dressed, grabbed his bag and sword, and set on his way to the front of the castle. He reached the front, just as the last piece of the princess’s luggage was being loaded into the carriage. The Princess herself stood, talking to one of her maids. The princess wore a fancy white dress. Her long hair was tied into a braided crown and a fancy knot. When she caught sight of Roy, her face lit up with a grin. Roy felt bashful upon seeing her. 

“Sir Cleland. Thank you for agreeing to escort me to my sister’s.” the princess said.

Roy bowed. In the silence, he thought he heard ragged breathing coming from the princess. 

“I-tt is my honor, my lady,” he said, anxiously.

The princess smiled. Roy glanced at the maid and noticed she seemed to have a look of worry and concern at the princess. 

“My lady-” she began. 

The princess quickly held her hand up, cutting the maid off.

“I appreciate your concern, Penny. But, I have made my decision and do not wish to discuss it any further,” she said

Penny scowled and lowered her eyes. 

“A-as you wish, madam,” she muttered.   

A middle-aged man came hobbling over. He bowed quickly to the princess and stood up.

“Your ladyship, we are all set to go. Just give us the word and we’ll be on our way,” he said. 

The princess smiled and nodded. 

“Thank you, Mr. Greyfinn,” she said and turned to Roy. “Sir Cleland, are you ready to depart?” 

He nodded and patted his bag.

“I’m ready,” he said.

“Excellent. Let us go, then,” she said.

She turned and made her way to the carriage and the footman helped her. Roy pulled himself in the front with the horses. Roy frowned. 

“Where’s the driver?” he asked. 

The princess stuck her head out of the window.

“Didn’t Father tell you? We’ll be traveling through King Cryd’s territory,” she explained. 

“Ah,” Roy nodded his head. “Your father and he don’t get along, correct?” 

The Princess nodded. 

“Correct. Unfortunately, that’s the quickest way to my sister’s, so, a smaller carriage, with just two people, will be better at keeping a low profile than a larger one can in Cryd’s territory, so you’ll have to drive the carriage,” she said. 

“You’re already, sir!” Mr. Greyfinn said. 

Roy nodded. He picked up the reins and got the horses moving. 

“Good luck!” Mr. Greyfinn’s voice called from behind. 

Roy and the princess left the palace, headed through the village and on a path toward a large, dense forest. Large trees stood towering above the carriage and beautiful, colorful flowers bloomed all around them. More than once, Roy saw many different animals along the side of the trail.  Every now and then, Roy heard Evalyn cough. After traveling further and further into the forest, Roy pulled the carriage to a stop. 

“Break time, your majesty!” Roy called. 

Roy got down and opened the door and the princess hopped down. She took a wheezing breath in. 

“My, what a lovely forest, isn’t it,” she asked.

Roy, who had moved to tend to the horses, answered 

“Agreed, your highness. It is a beautiful forest.” 

The Princess smiled slightly.

“Please, just call me Evalyn.” 

Roy turned and raised his eyebrow at her.

“Isn’t that a bit too informal for the princess of Abingora?” he asked.

She smirked and Roy’s heart skipped.

“I’m the princess. I do what I please. Plus, I can always force you to call me Evalyn.” She gave a sideways look to Roy.

Roy laughed.

“Evalyn, it is then,” he said. 

Evalyn smiled and turned to look at a patch of flowers and Roy turned back to tend to the horses. As he did, he heard Evalyn’s wheezing breath and coughing, and doubt formed in his stomach. After a long while, Evalyn and Roy returned to the carriage and set on their way. The forest kept expanding everywhere Roy looked. After what seemed like forever, the trail split. One to the right and one to the left. Roy turned the carriage to the left and continued down the trail.

The sun started to set and Roy pulled the carriage over to the side. 

“Evalyn, we’re stopping for the night,” he said

The carriage door opened and Evalyn popped her head out. 

“I’ll get the cooking stuff out, while you take care of the horse, ok?” she said. 

“Ok,” Roy answered.

Roy tended to the horses, while Evalyn got the packed cooking supplies out and ready. 

“I’ll be back in a couple of minutes,” Roy said. “We’ll need firewood to be able to actually cook something.” 

“Oh, I already did that,” Evalyn said, pointing to a pile of decent-sized wood.

Roy stared at the pile in amazement. 

“When did you go get them, you didn’t leave the area!” he cried. 

Evalyn pointed to a tree that had millions of different size branches scattered around it. Roy smiled and sat down. Evalyn handed him a potato and he began cutting it up. Eventually, a delicious aroma filled the air. Evalyn, wheezingly, sniffed the air. 

“Roy, what are you cooking? It smells delicious!” she exclaimed

“Oh, um. It’s a family recipe my mother gave me before I became a knight.” He explained, “She called it Pot n’ Spice.”

Roy looked up from the cooker and saw that Evalyn had a wistful look on her face.

“I wish I could learn to cook,” she said. “It looks fun.” 

“Maybe I can teach you,” he said. 

Roy and Evalyn continued to talk until the sun was fully down. By then, Evalyn had begun to look sleepy and Roy told her to go to sleep. They both retired to the carriage and fell asleep.

The sun beamed down on Roy’s face as he drove the carriage. It quivered slightly as it rolled over rocks and holes in the ground. Birds chirped a morning song, out of sight. Roy pulled the carriage to a stop and hopped down. He opened the door and helped Evalyn down, then turned to take care of the horses. 

“Roy, look!” Evalyn’s slightly ragged voice came. “There’s a trail over here!” 

“What?” he said.

Roy looked away from the horses and looked at Evalyn. She stood between two trees where a smaller dirt trail broke off from the original path. Roy hurried over to her, frowning at the trail. Despite the bright sun breaking through the branches, this trail had barely any sunlight coming through. Roy turned to Evalyn and put a hand on her shoulder. 

“We should go,” Roy said

Evalyn turned and raised her eye-bowl at him. 

“What’s the rush?” she asked, “We’ve got time to spare.”

With that, Evalyn shrugged off Roy and dashed down the trail. 

“Evalyn, wait! You shouldn’t wander into the forest by yourself! Evalyn!” Roy cried, chasing after her.

He caught up with her. Evalyn was doubled over, gasping and wheezing hard. Roy moved to help but she waved him off.

“I’m….f-fine,” she said, between gasps. 

“No, you're not,” he said, firmly, grabbing her arm. “Sit down!.” 

Roy sat Evalyn down and waited until she got wheezing. When she did, Evalyn straightened and looked around. Roy turned to see how far they’d followed the path. It looked like they followed the trail deep into the woods. Roy turned to see there was a wooden cottage right in front of them. Roy frowned.

“Well, I guess we’d better find where we are,” he muttered.

Roy and Evalyn continued to the cottage. Evalyn held her hand up to knock, but before she could, the door swung open. An elderly woman with warm eyes and a pleasant smile stood in front of them. She wore a long black dress and had circular glasses. Her hair was tied back in a loose bun with a purple tie.  

“Well, well,” she said. “I was wondering how long it’d be before you’d show up.”

Roy gawked at the elderly woman. 

“You mean…you knew we were coming?” Evalyn asked, in awe. 

“Quite so, Princess,” she answered. 

“Wow,” Evalyn said,

“Who are you?” Roy demanded. 

The elderly lady raised an eyebrow at Roy.

“My name is Hilda,” she answered.

Hilda turned into her house. Evalyn moved after her, with Roy behind her. Hilda’s house was massive. Upon entering, a kitchen stood directly to their left with basic cooking utensils and a large pantry. On the right, a sofa and two chairs stood near a fireplace. Next to the fireplace stood a staircase leading to an upper floor. A massive bookshelf, packed from top to bottom, stood on the wall between the kitchen and living room. Hilda pulled out a chair and sat, gesturing to Evalyn and Roy to sit. 

“So, what can I help you with?” she said. 

“Well, can you help us find our way back to our carriage,” Roy said.  

Hilda nodded.

“I can. But…” Hilda tilted her head. “I sense there is something else…” 

Evalyn and Roy glanced at each other, confused. Hilda’s eyes gleamed, mischievously. She got up, grabbed a pack of large cards, and, sat them on the table.

“Princess, I’d like you to spread the cards, please,” Hilda said.

Evalyn obliged. Hilda picked them up and started laying them down in a pattern, three next to each other. Hilda tilted her head curiously at the card. 

“Well, this is interesting,” She said. 

“What does it say, miss,” Evalyn asked, breathless. 

“Well,” Hilda began, pointing to the first card labeled Strength. However, it was upside down. “The card upside down means struggles. So, in your past, you’ve struggled greatly.” 

Evalyn looked down at the table and Roy frowned. Hilda, then, pointed to the card next to it, this one labeled Lovers. Like the first one, it, too, was upside down. 

“This means you’ll find love, but you’ll also find suffering, as well.” 

Hilda frowned 

“Dear me, this is not a pleasant reading, is it?” she murmured, quietly.

Hilda pointed to the third card. Unlike the others, it wasn’t upside down and was labeled Death. 

“It appears you’ll eventually face death,” she said.

Evalyn bit her lip and stared at the card intensely, while Roy looked between Evalyn and Hilda in alarm. 

“Please don’t fret,” Hilda quickly said, patting Evalyn’s hand gently. “It could be years into the future that you face death, dear.” 

Hilda piled the cards together and turned to Roy.

“Would you indulge me?” she asked 

Roy nodded and shuffled the cards. Hilda set the cards out. The first one was called Chariot. However, unlike Evalyn’s reading, this one was right side up.

“You are a courageous person, Mr. Roy,” Hilda said.

“He is,” Evalyn said, staring admirably at Roy.

Roy blushed and down. Hilda raised her eyebrow and glazed between them. She looked down and pointed to the second card. It was the same as Evalyn’s. It was Lover, and upside down. 

“It seems you shall also find love, but suffer as well,” she said. 

Hilda pointed to the final card. This one was labeled Wheel of Fortune. 

“You will face the unpredictable and be tested.” She said,

Roy sucked in his cheek and stared at the card, trying to figure out what the card would lead to. Hilda turns her head out to the window.

“My, would you look at the time!” she exclaimed. “You really must be going, but before you go, Evalyn, I have something to give you.”

Evalyn tilted her head. Hilda went to the pantry and emerged holding something wrapped in a piece of cloth. She then held out the clothed object to Evalyn, who took it tenderly. 

“What is it?” Evalyn asked her.

“Something that’ll make your dreams come true,” Hilda replied, with a slight glance towards Roy. 

Evalyn stashed the clothed object in her bag and stood up. Roy quickly followed suit. 

“Well, we really must be going, Miss. Hilda,” Roy said, quickly. “Thank you for your time.”

Hilda pulled the candle that had been sitting on the table to her. She waved her hand and a small piece of the fire broke off and turned into a circle. 

“This little fireball will help you find your way back to your carriage.” She said, 

Hilda waved them from her house. Roy and Evalyn trekked through the forest, following the little fireball to find the carriage. The horses nickered and stomped their feet. 

“We should get going,” Roy said.

“Yeah, we should,” Evalyn agreed. 

Evalyn got into the carriage and Roy took off. They traveled down the trail and continued until dark. Roy and Evalyn set up camp and prepared a meal. Evalyn got out two cups and a large bottle. While Roy was cooking the meal, Evalyn had her back toward him as she poured the drinks. When she was done, she turned to Roy and held out a cup to him, and, smiled at him. Roy returned the smile and took the cup. 

“To a smooth trip,” she said.

“To a smooth trip,” he echoed.

And they both drank at the same time. 

Roy drank his down and put it down, while Evalyn drank her more slowly. Roy returned to the cooker and started adding vegetables. However, his gaze kept shifting more and more over to the princess. He felt himself flush every time he looked at her. He kept thinking about how beautiful she was and gentle. He kept glancing and blushing at her.

God, what is wrong with me? Roy thought 

He'd long since known that he had liked Evalyn. Not only was she beautiful, but Roy had noticed that when she talked to the villagers in the village she always treated them gently and kindly, no matter what. But he also knew that Evalyn had to marry a prince, not a common peasant such as him. He doubted that even if he could convince the king he truly did love Evalyn, he’d be allowed to marry her. He looked up at her, feeling as though he’d lost everything. 

Days sped forward and they were half-way through the forest. Roy and Evalyn trekked on through it. Evalyn, however, despite having been in good health at the beginning, had begun to cough more and more frequently, which made Roy increasingly nervous and constantly checking on her. Despite his attempts at trying to make her rest or even having them turn back, Evalyn refused. Despite the fact that he respected the headstrong princess, he wished she would listen to him. He also wished he knew what was going on with Evalyn, but whenever he tried asking her about it, she always shut him down and tried to talk about something else. However, this stubbornness also impressed him. 

“Evalyn, as much as I respect your desire to reach your sister’s place, I still think we need to turn back and find-” Roy began

“No. I’m fine, Roy,” she said, “I told my sister I’d visit her and that’s what I am going to do.” 

Evalyn gave him a fierce look that seemed to say or else. Roy sighed but couldn't think of anything else to say. He was sure, that even if he did think of something to say, it wouldn’t change Evalyn’s mind anyway. He helped Evalyn into the carriage and rolled on. Roy tried to be as careful as he could on the trail, avoiding as many holes and anything else that could make the carriage bounce as possible. As time moved on, Evalyn’s condition continually worsened.

Roy pulled the carriage to a stop. Evalyn came shakily out of the carriage, her ragged breathing even more prudent than before. Roy looked worriedly at her. Evalyn slowly sat down on the ground. Her hair was loose and her skin was nearly white. 

“Are you sure you’re ok?” Roy asked. 

Evalyn nodded. She ate a small portion of the food Roy prepared during the breaks. She did, however, refuse to eat more when Roy insisted she should eat a full meal to regain her strength.

“Can you at least eat just a little more?” He asked

Evalyn shook her head and Roy sighed. Evalyn had begun to stand up, then immediately collapsed.

“Evalyn!” Roy cried, scrambling to her side.

Roy lifted her into his arm. Her eyes were cloudy and unfocused. Her breathing was by far the worst Roy had heard it. 

“Roy…I need…to…tell…you…something…” she gasped, her voice straining with every word.

“No, not now, Evalyn. We need to get you help!” Roy cried, his voice shaking. 

“No…I..need…to tell…you this” Evalyn said 

She gasped and her whole body shuttered.

“Roy…I’ve…always…loved..you..” she said, her voice becoming weaker with every word.

“What-?” Roy gasped.

“And..I’m……sorry…” 

With these final words, her eyelids closed and her body went limp. 

“Evalyn! Evalyn!” Roy yelled. 

But no response came from her. Her once beautiful face was pale and disoriented. Roy held her close to him and cried. Endlessly streams of tears spilled down his face as he wept over Evalyn’s body. He held onto Evalyn until night fell. 

By then, he had cried himself out and felt numb. Finally, he went over to a patch of grass and began to dig a hole. Then, he found a blanket in the carriage and carefully wrapped Evalyn's body in it. He gently placed her down and covered the grave. With painstaking care, he carved Evalyn a marker and placed it above the grave. Roy stared at the grave and lowered his head. Suddenly, he felt angry. What was he doing? No way could he leave Evalyn like this! She was everything to him! But what could he do? Roy paced between the carriage. Suddenly, it hit him. An idea so wide and absurd. He jumped in the carriage, turned it around, and went tearing down the trail. He pulled the carriage to a harsh stop, jumped down, and raced down a side trail. He stopped in front of Hilda’s house, gasping for breath. 

He raced up to the door and banged on the door.

“Hilda! Hilda, please open! I need to talk to you!” Roy shouted.  

The door flung open and Hilda stood in the doorway. 

“Come in,” she said.

Roy sat at the table, while Hilda made a pot of tea. She came to the table and pushed a cup towards him. 

“Now, what happened?” Hilda asked.

Roy took a shaky breath.

“Y-Your tarot card prediction… It came true. Evalyn… she’s…gone, Hilda. She’s gone.” he said.

Hilda looked sharply at him.

“Tell me what happened,” she said.

Roy explained what happened. Hilda leaned back on her chair.

“Well, Roy. I do have an idea. But it’s extremely dangerous…” she said

“I don’t care. I want to get her back,” he said.

Hilda looked at Roy for a minute before replying.

“Yes, there is a way you may be able to Evalyn back,” she said.

Roy looked up at her.

“Really?” he said.

“If you go further into the forest, you come across a large pile of rocks. These rocks will have a symbol on them. The symbol of the god of Death, Mabuz.” she said. “It’ll be an hourglass and daggers.”

Hilda, on a piece of paper, drew the symbol. It was an hourglass with the top spilling into the bottom and two daggers behind it. She handed him the paper and he tucked it into his bag.

“If you find the rocks, get to the underworld, and find the god, you may be able to strike up a deal with them and get Evalyn back,” he said. 

Hilda looked out the window.

“It’s nearly dark. You’ll be able to see the symbol better at night.” 

Roy got up and bowed to Hilda.

“Thank you,” he said. “How can I thank you?”

The elderly women’s mouth twisted into a slight smirk. 

“Thank me by doing your best and saving Evalyn” she answered simply. 

Roy nodded and left. He went further into the forest, lit a small torch, and looked around, trying to figure out where to start looking for the rocks.  

He turned right and began down between the trees. Roy looked for any signs that might point to him the rock pile with no luck. Roy continued to look and look with no availing efforts. Roy began to feel hopeless, wondering if he was missing something and if he should go talk to Hilda again when by coincidence, he’d stumbled across a large rock pile. The rocks looked like it was in a collum of moonlight, the gray rocks now a near-blinding white. Roy walked closer and examined the rocks. As he did, he found the symbol Hilda had shown him, glowing black in the white moonlight. Roy touched the symbol. A loud rumbling shook the ground and the rocks opened a large pathway. Roy climbed the rocks and followed the dark path down.

The path seemed to go on forever when Roy finally reached the end. Roy stared around in shock. It was like Earth but almost better. The air was filled with the smell of flowers and fruit trees. The grass was full and healthy. Colorful trees with fruits and flowers spread as far as the eye could see. Unique and bizarre-looking animals were scattered everywhere, grazing on the fruit and grass. Roy wandered around, looking for any sign of something or someone that’d help him. He came across a trial and followed it down. He began to wonder what exactly he see in this unique new world when something caught his eye. It was a woman, not much older than Roy himself. Roy stopped in his tracks, in surprise. The woman looked human, but she was translucent. 

“Excuse me, miss,” Roy said.

“Hm?’ She said, looking up and around her.

When she noticed Roy, her eyes went wide and her mouth dropped. Roy shifted on his foot and looked nervously at the woman, while she looked completely bewildered.

“Y-You’re a-live?!” she exclaimed 

“Uh… last time I checked, I was…” He said, nervously. 

The women looked around curiously. 

“It’s been a while since I saw someone alive,” she admitted. “Why are you here?”

“Well, er- a g-good f-friend of mine recently passed away and she’s important to me, so I came here looking for her.” Roy stammered, turning red. 

The woman raised her eyebrow for a minute before struggling. 

“Ok. Well, if you want to help her, you’ll need to talk the god,” she said.

“That’s what I’m trying to do. But I don’t know where he lives. Would you happen to know where he is?” Roy asked.

“Actually, I do,” she said, smiling. “What’s your name?”

“Roy. What’s yours?” he asked.

“Ria,” she said.

“So, how far to the castle?” Roy asked. 

“It’s a few miles that way,” Ria said, pointing behind Roy. “Don’t worry though. Us ghosts have ways of getting around quickly,” she answered. 

Ria took Roy’s hand. Suddenly, there was a flash of bright light and they were standing right out of an enormous obsidian castle. Ria turned to look at Roy

“This is King Mabuz’s castle,” she said. 

Roy nodded.

“Thank you for the help, Ria,” he said.

“No problem,” Ria said, with a gentle smile. “I get what it’s like to be so in love with someone you’d go to any lengths to get them back.” 

And with that and a bright flash, she was gone. Roy’s mouth dropped open He, then, shook his head and turned to the castle. He pushed the gate open. He entered a large courtyard that had gardens filled with flowers of every kind. Roy gave them a glance as he hurried to the front door. Upon entering the castle, he found himself in a large hallway. He crept down and hall and searched for the throne room. After a while of searching and occasionally ducking into rooms to hide from passing ghosts, he found it. A large man with dark eyes and a crown made of iron and obsidian, occupation a large throne. His piercing stare was fixed on where Roy had been sneaking in. 

“Well, Roy Cleland. What are you doing in the underworld?” his voice, clear as daylight, rang through the hall. 

Roy moved nervously from where he was standing to the front of the throne.

“Well, King Mabuz. Princess Evalyn Tudor recently died,” he began. “I love her dearly and cannot bear to be parted from her, so I ask you to allow Evalyn to return to the land of the living, please.” 

After Roy had spoken, Mabuz was quiet for a while, though his stare never left Roy. 

“Well, Roy. I cannot do much in that regard,” he answered. 

“What do you mean, sir?” Roy asked confused.

“The ancient laws directly forbid me from releasing any currently deceased souls back into their previous lives. The law also states that I must alert the guards to any attempts to bring a soul back to Earth ” he explained. 

Roy felt stunned. But, King Mabuz gained a glint in his eye and a sly smile.

“However, the law doesn’t state exactly when I must alert the guard. So, theoretically, if you go now, I don’t need to alert any guards until you find Evalyn, and by then…” Mabuz said, with a sly grin.

“We’d be long gone,” Roy answered, breaking into a large grin.

“Exactly. Every recently deceased soul will be at the Sorting Trail. It’s just outside of the city towards the west.” Mabuz replied. 

Roy bowed.

“Thank you!” he exclaimed.

“You’d better hurry.” Mabuz replied, “The guards are about off their break, now.”

Roy nodded, hurried into the shadows, and found his way out of the castle. When he exited the gates, he burst into a run and followed the sun west. He finally stopped when he came across a large field. There were thousands of deceased souls. Roy’s stomach plumped. But he quickly shook his head. Evalyn died only 2 days ago. She must be in the back. Roy hurried to the back, ducking behind trees to avoid the guards. When he finally did, he spotted Evalyn immediately. She was standing next to a tree. 

“Psst- Evalyn!” he whispered. 

Evalyn flung around and glanced wildly around. Her eyes widen when they fell on the tree.

“Roy?! What on earth are you doing here!?” she said.

“Coming to get you!” he responded.

“What?” Evalyn asked

“Evalyn, I love you. I always have and I can’t imagine my life without you in it,” he said. “So, please, will you come back?”

Evalyn turned red and smiled. 

“Yes, let’s go,” she said.

Evalyn took Roy’s hand and they sunk behind the tree. Then, moved quickly behind another one.

“GUARDS! GUARDS! A SOUL IS ESCAPING!” 

Evalyn and Roy jumped. Near them, a ghoul stood, holding a sword and, his face twisted in anger. Roy unsheathed his sword and lunged at the ghoul. The ghoul blocked Roy’s attack and pushed him back. Roy countered, disarmed the ghoul, and hit his head with the top of his sword, knocking out the ghoul. Roy turned, grabbed Evalyn’s hand and the two of them raced away from the Sorting Trial. Roy and Evalyn counited to run till they couldn’t see the city anymore or hear any ghosts or ghouls. The two of them stopped to catch their breath. 

“I…think…we lost…them,” Evalyn said, looking over her shoulder while panting. 

Roy nodded. He sat up and looked around. 

“We’re not far from the trail,” he said. 

Evalyn, who had stopped panting, smiled and held out her hand to Roy.

“Then I guess we better go, then,” she said.

Roy smiled and took her hand. Behind them, loud roaring shook the ground and set birds flying into the air.

“Find that soul!” a voice roared. 

Roy glanced at Evalyn.

“Let’s go,” he said.

“Yup,” Evalyn said. 

Evalyn and Roy raced toward the trail and scrambled up. The two of them climbed up the trail in the dark.

“How are you doing back there, Roy?” Evalyn’s voice called threw the dark. 

“Good! You?” he responded. 

“Well, being I very sick, died nearly two days ago, came to the underworld, and had the love of my life come to the underworld to find me, I’d say I’m going pretty good.” She answered. 

The two began cracking up. 

“But seriously, Roy, thanks,” Evalyn said

“Of course, Evalyn.”

Evalyn’s outline came into view. Evalyn began to speed up and the two of them burst into the sunlight. Evalyn broke out cheering. Roy chuckled, scooped her in his arms, and spun her around. Roy put her down and they began staring into each other’s eyes. She leaned forward and kissed him. Roy’s heart jumped and felt happier than he’d ever felt. They broke apart and Evalyn sighed. 

“So, are we still going to my sister?” she asked. 

“Only if you want,” he answered.

Evalyn froze and stared Roy in the face.

“Do you think we should tell anyone about what happened?” she asked.

“Eh, I don’t think that'll be a good idea,” he responded. 

“Yeah, makes sense,” she said. 

They walked through the forest and spotted Hilda’s house. She was sitting on the porch in a chair. When they came out, Hilda turned to face them.

“Evalyn, my dear! How are you?” she said

“I’m good.” Evalyn replied.

Hilda got up and gave Evalyn a hug. 

“I am so glad you’re ok,” she said. 

“Thank you for your help,” Roy said 

Hilda turned and looked at him. 

“I see the love potion effect wore off,” she said

Evalyn made a sound that was between an eh and a gasp. Roy glanced between them, confused.

“Love potion..?” he asked.

Hilda nodded and Evalyn looked like she was going to be sick. 

“The bottle I gave Evalyn when we first met. It was a love potion.” 

Roy turned and stared at Evalyn. She was looking at the ground and messing with her hands.

“Evalyn, please explain,” Roy asked her

Evalyn looked up at Roy.

“I-I’m sorry, Roy. I thought that you wouldn’t love me if I hadn’t given you that potion… I’m sorry.” she said.

Roy took Evalyn’s hands.

“Evalyn, I understand. I felt the same way,” he said.

Evalyn gasped and looked up at him with wide eyes. 

“Really?” she asked.

“Yes. I loved you for a long time. But, like you, I didn’t think you liked me back, so I understand why you did it,” he said. 

“And you’re not angry?” she asked, timidly. 

“I wished you had told me sooner, but no, I’m not,” Roy answered. 

Evalyn sighed in relief.

“If you’re stilling planning on getting to your sister’s, you’d best go now,” Hilda said.

With that, Roy and Evalyn hopped onto the carriage and road off to live happily ever after.