when day breaks | Teen Ink

when day breaks

By Josueg, Santa Ana, California
Josueg, Santa Ana, California

Author's note:

i like dogs 

When I woke up I changed to my school clothes and fed my dog.After that I started heading out to school though I was not expecting when i got to school to change my life I was able to get to class in time but my teacher said I have to come more early right before the bell rings. She then said to the class we have a test and everyone groaned at the teacher but at that moment the lights went off and all the phones in the class got a notification saying stay inside your house’s, a virus has spread through California and america. 

The teacher told us to start heading towards the exit and that we had to go home. Just then we heard glass shatter from the other class nearby and we saw a student's body on the ground bleeding out and started to be dragged inside the class. students start running towards the exit trying to escape from the school stepping over each other just to leave the school.

luckily I was able to get out and started sprinting home I didn’t ask any questions until I was safe and just then I got tackled by one of the students I tried everything to shake him off I had no other option but to keep hitting him in the face until he stopped moving I was mad at myself that I killed someone and sad at whatIi had done I killed someone even if he did attack me after some time of thinking i started running home again when i finally got inside my house I kept trying to call my parents trying to tell them what happened at school and how I got attacked but I couldn’t reach them since there was no signal.

I checked outside the house to check if anyone was there and when I saw the coast was clear I ran outside to put my dog inside. I then proceeded to lock every door and window inside the house until my parents would come back.

I went to the kitchen to see if we had anything to eat and I saw some leftovers from last night’s dinner and turned on the TV to see the news. It said the virus spread through contact with someone infected. If the person who is infected bites someone else then the person will feel immense amounts of pain for several days until the skin starts rotting and the thing becomes a shell of its former self. 

These things are mostly slow though most of the siteings show multiple of theses things in a group and people need to be careful until the special forces can eliminate them and every town or city that has the infection spreading through them the rescue teams will show up to take any survivors to a save centers around the states but once the rescue teams leave no more help will be available for those areas.

I now had to find out where these rescue teams will be at so I can be taken at the save centers and how I will be able to get there with my dog I also needed a way to get to the rescue teams,the tv resumed to where the rescue teams will be one was going  to be at a disney land near chapman ave. 

Now i knew where the rescue teams where going to be now I just need to prepare to go disneyland I had to search it up but the internet went out so I had to find a hotspot somewhere I 

i think my school had one but it was going to be hard to retrieve it since there might still be the thing from earlier but right now it’s too late to go so I will have to go in the morning. 

I went to sleep and woke up the next day at around 10 pm. I had something to eat and fed my dog before I left for school. 

I had to be careful since the streets were empty and it was quiet. 

While I was heading to school I but right now it’s too late to go so I will have to go in the morning. I went to sleep and woke up the next day at around 10 pm. 

I had something to eat and fed my dog before I left for school. I had to be careful since the streets were empty and it was quiet. 

While I was heading to school I stopped by a sports shop to grab a bat. I had to push hard on the door to open it since it was stuck but then I realized why it was stuck there was an infected person.

I had to be strong since I almost threw up from the intense smell of the creature.

It was so grosseteste to see the creature then it started to chase me I had to find a way to get away from it I then ran in a circle then ran straight to the door and got to the other side and shut the door the creature kept banging on the door trying to get in and eat me.

I then grabbed a hockey stick and used it to jam the door shut. After that was dealt with I started to search around to find a bat. 

I went past the basketball and soccer section and finally the baseball section. I decided to grab two baseball bats just in case I need a spare and I also grabbed a tennis ball for my German shepherd to keep him entertained while I'm out collecting stuff. 

Now all I had left to do was get out but the problem was that the infection was outside the front door.

I tried going through the back exit but I realized it would attract unwanted attention to myself so

I had to go through the front door. I started getting myself ready to swing at the thing and I removed the hockey stick from the door and the thing started to run towards me and I finally swung my bat and the thing the impact knocked it down.

I started to keep hitting it with the bat until the thing stopped moving. I thought that was the end of it but then the thing leaped at me for a moment and just dropped to the floor safe to say the thing is finally dead. 

I saw the thing had a watch and I just borrowed it from its dead corpse. 

I was surprised the watch was even clean after what I did to the thing I then walked out the door and started heading to the school again when I walked through the front entrance of the school I saw no one or thing nearby.

I had my guard up and was readying to hit anything that moves the slightest.

I remembered the school kept the hot spots in the school libary.

I tried to enter through the front door but the dammed thing was locked so I had to break the glass to get through it but I cut myself in the process of going through the smashed window. Then I heard something move in the distance. 

I got ready to swing my bat but then a skinny kid popped out of the corner with a ruler and a pair of scissors which left me confused. 

He asked me what I wanted with a scared look and i responded with i'm not looking for trouble I just came looking for a hotspot so I can use my phone he still kept pointing the ruler and scissors at me I told him he can trust me and i asked him how long he has been in the library.

He told me he has been locked in since the incident happened in the school and how he has struggled to survive and how he had to always time his moves to avoid being spotted by the infected students, he also talked about a creature that was feasting on the infected students and how he learned the creature was not agile and really slow at moving which helped him steer clear from it. 

Eventually when the infected student’s started running out in the school the thing kept leaving in and out of the school looking for food. 

The creature will try to eat anything that is biodegradable. 

This helped me stay safe since it ate all the infected and when there was no food the creature left after the thing left i was able to freely eat any food I can find in the school and any sort of equipment that may be useful to defend myself with and to make sure there was no infected left locked in the classrooms.

After he told me how he was able to live in the school for so long we heard glass shatter and he told me did I close the front gate and I said no. 

He told me we have to run. 

I told him what was the thing we were running from and he told me these creatures come from the waste produced from the giant creature that eats the infected.

These creatures are blind and rely on their hearing and nose to hunt. 

They are really aggressive and are able to bend steel with their jaws and are able to climb on walls and are incredibly fast along with those other abilities.

I said oh great we're doomed,we ran to the emergency door in the back of the library and we locked it and barraced it with anything that was near us. 

This should buy us some time. 

I told him if has anything that makes noise and some matches and he said yes and he handed them to me. 

I had a gas container in my backpack and just started to drop all of it on the ground and dropped the match on the ground and told him to run.

I then threw an old voice recorder Nearby on repeat to lure the creature into the fire and the kid told me one thing. 

He forgot to tell me that those things are able to regenerate with enough time and they're incredibly dumb at least they still might die since they will keep burning until the fire gets put out.

I told him we have to keep running since that won’t hold them off for long. 

I told him to follow me to my house and then it hit me. 

I didn’t even ask him what his name was. 

and he also did not know what my name was. 

I then said my name was josue and he said his name was andrew. 

I then told him my house was just around the corner and we were able to get inside and I offered him some food since he might be hungry and he said no thanks.

I introduced him to my dog. 

He then started sniffing Andrew's hand and let him pet him on the hand after that I told him he can sleep on the couch.  

I woke up from the couch during the middle of the night because I heard something outside. When I went to check it out I got hit on the head and knocked out. 

Later I woke up to find out I have been tied up with Josue. 

I couldn’t see who were the people ransacking the kitchen. I had to think of a  way to get out of this.That's when I remembered I had a pocket knife in my backpack but it was too far away. I had 

to drag josue’s unconscious body around with me luckily I was able to reach my backpack and was able to grab the pocket knife from it and I started to try to cut the rope but then one of 

The robbers came to check up on us so I had to stop and act like I was still unconscious.

The robber kept on getting closer to make sure I was still unconscious until he was close enough so I could stab him with the pocket knife. 

He fell on the floor bleeding and I noticed he had a gun in his pocket and I grabbed it just then I shot the other robber and I finished the job by shooting the one on the ground.

Josue finally woke up and I untied him.

I told Andrew to look outside and there was a car and a map that we can use to go to Disneyland in Chapman ave and get rescued. 

I let Andrew drive since he was older than me and actually knew how to drive. 

I told him to help me put my dog inside the car and we set out to disneyland.