"Gees" | Teen Ink

"Gees"

By Jacknel123 GOLD, Miami, Florida
Jacknel123 GOLD, Miami, Florida

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.Dream. Discover"
-- MARK TWAIN

“Gees” means soul in a African dialect. This is about the current genocide that was going in Darfur. This was my first emotional response to the issue. However, I did not like how the piece was coming out, the figure looked sad, and that’s not how wanted it. I want the figure to feel sad. I placed it on the grass and let the rain pour all over the canvas; then I brought it back inside the house and started drawing on top of it with pastels, color sticks and pencil. Afterward I threw some bleach on the canvas which ate away some of the paint. I looked at the pieces and said to myself, “It feels sad, you sense the pain and sorrow in the eyes. The figure looks fragile and delicate to the touch."

Similar images

This art has 2 comments.

IamtheshyStargirl PLATINUM, Lothlorien, Utah

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

"Bowing gratefully to all of my subjects, 'thank you. Thank you. The pleasure is mine." Nah, I'm just kidding. We're all kings together.'"
~Thesilentraven

Oh man, this is amazing! And I love reading what you did to make it come out this way, that's so creative.

Etta said...
Your painting is beautiful! It definitely shows the pain that the people of Darfur are going through. You used a really interesting way to create this piece. It makes me want to try different things with my art.